Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes,help!

Hi
    I have recently noticed a grinding/crunching noise when braking to a standstill at low speed,could someone please shed some light on this?Otherwise the brakes are fine and the ABS is working ok.Cheers.
    Powered by ????

Sounds like you need to check that your brake pads have enough meat left on them its always better to check the easy things before thinking the worst. Cheers Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
      Hi
      I have recently noticed a grinding/crunching noise when braking to a standstill at low speed,could someone please shed some light on this?Otherwise the brakes are fine and the ABS is working ok.Cheers.
      Check the pads, on my 2nd Gen 90 the front pads have metal wear indicators and screech grind a treat when you get down to them and they start rubbing on the discs.
      When i changed them they still had 3-4mm of pad left but the wear indicators were hitting the disc, horrible noise, I looked at them and thought loadsa pad left but once I got them off the wear indicators were saying different.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

10 minute job to replace 2nd gen pads £12.50 from milners
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          10 minute job to replace 2nd gen pads £12.50 from milners
          Same for a 3rd gen I presume?
          Powered by ????

Comment

Looks that way - the milners part nos are the same for both 2nd & 3rd gens.

Need to check on mine soon - looking through the wheel, the caliper looks damn close to the disc.

Comment

Changing Pads and Shoes

I had the front wheel off this weekend to try some new wheels for a bit off roading, having a quick look at the pads they need changing it looks simple enough. Whilst I am doing the front I will renew the back how difficult is that, I don't want to start and end up with a handful of springs and clips that I don't know were the hell they go.

Cheers
              Peachy
              1996 3.0TD SSRX
              Peachy
              3.0TD
              New Gen

Comment

not done the back yet. 1) loosen wheel nuts 2) jack up truck 3) axle stands would be a good idea here. remove wheel 4) brush off dust dont inhale the dust 5)pull spring clip out of the ends of both pins. 6) remove both pins either gently tap them out or remove with pliers the large spring plate will drop onto floor note which way round it was 7)put flat screwdriver between pad & dic in the middle of pad NOTE before pushing pads away from disc remove brake fluid resevoir lid & keep an eye on rising level. 7) when both pads have compressed pistons back into caliper simply take them out with 2 thin metal plates anti rattle/anti squeal plates brush off area. 8) fit plates on back of new pads and gently slide into place 9) place pin in hole of first pad and fit large steel spring thing push pin into place fit other pin. 10)now put ends of small spring clip into the ends of the 2 pins. 11) depress brake pedal a few times 2 push pistons back out. 12) when doing other side you may have to remove some of the brake fluid from the resovoir.
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

PLEASE NOTE ON ABOVE, BRAKE FLUID STRIPS PAINT OFF VEHICLE'
                  iff you use a syringe it makes less chance of spillages. when all pads are replaced check fluid level & test at low speed to ensure brakes are working
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

PLEASE NOTE ON ABOVE, BRAKE FLUID STRIPS PAINT OFF VEHICLE'
                    iff you use a syringe it makes less chance of spillages. when all pads are replaced check fluid level & test at low speed to ensure brakes are working
                    PUMP THEM A FEW TIMES BEFORE MOVING!!!
                    else the pedal hits the floor any you hit the wall!
                    Last edited by dabigman; 24 November 2003, 22:33.
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

not done the back yet. 1) loosen wheel nuts 2) jack up truck 3) axle stands would be a good idea here. remove wheel 4) brush off dust dont inhale the dust 5)pull spring clip out of the ends of both pins. 6) remove both pins either gently tap them out or remove with pliers the large spring plate will drop onto floor note which way round it was 7)put flat screwdriver between pad & dic in the middle of pad NOTE before pushing pads away from disc remove brake fluid resevoir lid & keep an eye on rising level. 7) when both pads have compressed pistons back into caliper simply take them out with 2 thin metal plates anti rattle/anti squeal plates brush off area. 8) fit plates on back of new pads and gently slide into place 9) place pin in hole of first pad and fit large steel spring thing push pin into place fit other pin. 10)now put ends of small spring clip into the ends of the 2 pins. 11) depress brake pedal a few times 2 push pistons back out. 12) when doing other side you may have to remove some of the brake fluid from the resovoir.
                      Also check condition of dust seals on calipers.If they are split or in bad condition it would be better to replace them now.I recently did brakes and bearings on my "92 2.4 and although the seals looked ok there was corrosion on the pistons and a fair amount of crap in the calipers.

If the calipers are not overhauled at least bleed them thoroughly after replacing pads to flush out any rubbish in them.Also check wheel bearings while you have it off the ground.

Neville

Comment

Working...
                      X