Done Up Like A Kipper!!!!in Oil)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done Up Like A Kipper!!!!in Oil)

Help Just Bought A 1991 Surf 2.4 T Diesel With A Known Oil Leak (from Auction!!!)
    On Forst Inspection On The Car The Top Brather Pipe Has Been Removed From The Rocker And Left To Dangle And The Rocker Has Had A Pipe With A 3 Inch Bolt Init Blocking The Hole???why Is This
    So I Left It There And Proceded On The Way Home
    On The Way Hole The Oil Leak Was Pretty Bad Causing Me To Keep Stopping And Top It Up
    On The 2nd Top Up Stop It Was Bubbling Water And Leaking Water Pretty Bad
    I Have Looked For The Most Obvious Like **** In The Oil Cap But Alas Nothing
    Seems Like The Oil Is Dripping Down From Something On To The Gearbox Join And May Be Causing The Clutch To Slip A Little
    If Anyone Has An Idea What Common Oil Leakes These Have Please Email Me With Any Info

I hope it was cheap!
    Cheers

Mart 870

Racing for Thomas

Comment

I'd have left it there, sounds like you have a cracked head (coolant coming out the expansion tank,) and the rings or valve seals are shot, this will cause crankcase pressure, that pump oil out the breather pipe causing the engine to smoke badly, they've pulled the pipe off and blocked it so it doesn't look to bad.

Seriously, it sounds like a nail, hope it was cheap! Probably best option is a recon whole engine, otherwise it's a new head, and bottem end rebuild if the rest of the car is nice and you want to keep it.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

or pop it back in next weeks auction!

(trade secret that!!... i once resold a metro with no second gear for a profit!)
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

If you got it from a dealer get it trailored back and demand your money back. If it was a private sale ditto. If the answer is no......................burn the buggers house down. Lousy ****e!

Not that I have a strong opinion on blatant swindlers like that.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

thanks for the advice tony
            this is the problem the rest of the car is mint but i did give £1,800 quid for it and on a h reg it is near all its money now
            when i bought it with it being an auction i was prepared for the worst and dont mind chucking another £1000 on it to mint it up but it is a case of finding a good diesel fitter to carry out the work without ripping me off
            plus how long before the head cracks again as this is a common problem with them aint it!!

Comment

no i bought it at auction

Comment

Originally posted by 1sttimer
                thanks for the advice tony
                this is the problem the rest of the car is mint but i did give £1,800 quid for it and on a h reg it is near all its money now
                when i bought it with it being an auction i was prepared for the worst and dont mind chucking another £1000 on it to mint it up but it is a case of finding a good diesel fitter to carry out the work without ripping me off
                plus how long before the head cracks again as this is a common problem with them aint it!!

Providing you buy a NEW head of the redesigned type (See Stevo) the head should last for many years of happy motoring.
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Originally posted by 1sttimer
                  Not exactly, the heads have a poor design, and if anything goes wrong with the cooling system, ie- leaks, holed/blocked rad, water pump, bad maintenance, etc, and it overheats, it will 99% of the time crack the head. My come into the country aready cracked with rad seal or similar in them to hide it, and when you give them a good blast up the motorway or drain and change the coolant the problem them comes to light.

I only fit an improved design of head (I get mine from Stevo) which is more resistant to cracking, so fit this and along with looking after the cooling side of things should mean the 2.4 is no more likely to crack a head than any other car.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                  X