Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokey Starting

BTW.. Like the new forum

Anyway, been driving for about a week after having new head fitted now when starting in the morning it takes a few goes to start her up, when it does start there is a lot of smoke coming fron the exhaust.

After the initial start of the day it is fine , it is not smoking excessivly and starts instantly, untill it is left overnight agian.

When it first happend i was quite low on fuel (But not in the red) , and was thinking that the fuel/Injectors may be full of gunk because of this , so have put some redex in. I understand from previous posts that this can take a few tanks to make a difference , but am paronoid that it is somthing else.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Darren

Originally posted by dforsdike
    BTW.. Like the new forum

Anyway, been driving for about a week after having new head fitted now when starting in the morning it takes a few goes to start her up, when it does start there is a lot of smoke coming fron the exhaust.

After the initial start of the day it is fine , it is not smoking excessivly and starts instantly, untill it is left overnight agian.

When it first happend i was quite low on fuel (But not in the red) , and was thinking that the fuel/Injectors may be full of gunk because of this , so have put some redex in. I understand from previous posts that this can take a few tanks to make a difference , but am paronoid that it is somthing else.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Darren
    Mines a bit like it since the new head, but then I know that my Injectors are cattled so no surprise there. Yes it does often take a few tanks to clean the injectors and fuel system out so at least give it 3 tanks. Also put a full bottle of Redex in 1/4 tank, not the measure they tell you. The recommended measure is just for regular use to keep things clean rather than for doing a system cleanout.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
      Mines a bit like it since the new head, but then I know that my Injectors are cattled so no surprise there. Yes it does often take a few tanks to clean the injectors and fuel system out so at least give it 3 tanks. Also put a full bottle of Redex in 1/4 tank, not the measure they tell you. The recommended measure is just for regular use to keep things clean rather than for doing a system cleanout.

Cheers
      if you want to clean the injectors take your filter off tip half the diesel out then top it back up with redex and put it back on, then give it a blast
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by dforsdike
        BTW.. Like the new forum

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Darren
        I had the same trouble when my head was replaced. It took the garage about 3 attempts to fix the problem. My glow plugs and injectors were OK, but a broken wire somewhere along the line meant they were'nt all getting current to them. It took an auto electrician to suss it out. If you think you've got a smokey start now, wait till the cold, damp morningas arrive!!! If your injectors are clogged you'll get black smoke all the time.
        Pete
        Last edited by Pete; 1 September 2003, 17:46.

Comment

Thanks for your replies...

Just popped out to look further in to this problem and think i have found the answer.

The Glow plug fuse has blown.

Also i noticed that there was no fuel heater fuse should there be?

Comment

Another product to use to clean out the system is 44K. Just pull the engine side hose off the fuel filter and put it into the can. Then start the engine and run it through 'till the can is empty. Shut the engine off, refit the fuel line and start it up. Leave it running on Idle up for 5 mins. This should clear out any deposits....

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
              Another product to use to clean out the system is 44K. Just pull the engine side hose off the fuel filter and put it into the can. Then start the engine and run it through 'till the can is empty. Shut the engine off, refit the fuel line and start it up. Leave it running on Idle up for 5 mins. This should clear out any deposits....
              I've heard great things about this 44K stuff from other people. So who's going to publish a picture of the fuel filter in a 2.4 so I can work out what to do & where to put it ?

Jim
              [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Ems and Jim
                I've heard great things about this 44K stuff from other people. So who's going to publish a picture of the fuel filter in a 2.4 so I can work out what to do & where to put it ?

Jim
                for ems & jim good innit this edit.......at last
                Last edited by gemini; 1 September 2003, 23:35.
                [size=5][/size]
                [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                  for ems & jim good innit this edit.......at last
                  another good product is called forte', p**ses all over redex info here http://www.asc-software.com/mall/ASC...uct-745803.stm
                  Last edited by gemini; 2 September 2003, 07:56.
                  [size=5][/size]

Comment

The instructions say to put it in the tank, but this dilutes it to much. My mechanic told me to go with the fuel filter method, BUT..... this is at your own risk.... I'm just passing on info

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                      another good product is called forte', p**ses all over redex info here http://www.asc-software.com/mall/ASC...uct-745803.stm

I've just used Forte, as it was recommended highly by Roughtrax, poured it straight in to the filter when I changed it, and primed, and running sweetly

Comment

New Head -> smokey start

Mine has/had the same problem. After head they changed 2 glow plugs, still hard to start, then a autoelectrician found a broken wire, fixed that, but still it starts with a small cloud of white smoke. Should look for the fuse of the fuel heater. Where does it(fuse/fuel heater) live?
                        Paul - NZ
                        '91 2.4 EFI TD SSR-X
                        [COLOR=darkslateblue]Paul - NZ[/COLOR]

Comment

if a diesel doesn't start immediatley, there will be some smoke when it eventually starts, as it will be v rich at first due to the unburnt fuel during starting, another possibility is, (i didn't really believe this until i tried it), the battery has to be 100%. i changed mine both recently and the difference is incredible , and it now starts quicker than my works van (2002 transit Direct injection diesel) starts within 1 revolution.
                          [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Working...
                          X