worried by clang noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worried by clang noise.

I have been reading as much as i can on this forum to try understand the cause of the noise i am hearing on my 3d Gen Surf.

However, I am just getting more worried because I can't seem to find a definitive (or even suggestive) course of action.

I am hearing a metallic clang when driving over bumps in the road. The sound is more noticeable on the passenger side, and is only really noticeable in two wheel drive.

I have found one of the anti-roll bar mounting bushes to be knackered and will be replacing it tomorrow. My worry comes from the fact that i cannot see how that would be affected differently by 2wd or 4wd .

I hav eseen suggestions that make me think it might be a CV Joint - but i have no clue what a cv joint is. Its been suggested I try to move this to check for play....okay, but can someone tell me or post a pic or two so i know which bit to test.

sorry i sound like a complete novice (I am !!) , but i want to learn how to do all this stuff....it just worries me that its my only transport and dismantling the wheels is quite serious.

thanks

adam
    adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Originally posted by lightningad
    I have been reading as much as i can on this forum to try understand the cause of the noise i am hearing on my 3d Gen Surf.

However, I am just getting more worried because I can't seem to find a definitive (or even suggestive) course of action.

I am hearing a metallic clang when driving over bumps in the road. The sound is more noticeable on the passenger side, and is only really noticeable in two wheel drive.

I have found one of the anti-roll bar mounting bushes to be knackered and will be replacing it tomorrow. My worry comes from the fact that i cannot see how that would be affected differently by 2wd or 4wd .

I hav eseen suggestions that make me think it might be a CV Joint - but i have no clue what a cv joint is. Its been suggested I try to move this to check for play....okay, but can someone tell me or post a pic or two so i know which bit to test.

sorry i sound like a complete novice (I am !!) , but i want to learn how to do all this stuff....it just worries me that its my only transport and dismantling the wheels is quite serious.

thanks

adam

try self diagnosis here: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...Sounds+Like|~4

CV joint - http://www.cartoday.com/content/car_.../cv_joints.asp
    Gaz

Comment

thanks Gary, useful info on those sites.
      adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Shock absorber mounting?

Comment

Originally posted by lightningad

thanks

adam

good side and bad side that causes some strange noises and costs £7.00 to fix
          Last edited by mud skipper; 28 March 2008, 14:30.
          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Sorted!!

it was a combination of a knackered anti roll bar d-bush (although mine was just the bush and not the whole bracket like johns)....and a couple of loose bolts on the sump guard. Annoying because the guard felt solid - it was only when i had to remove it to reach something i dropped in the engine bay (doh!) that i found the inner two bolts almost hanging free.

I am much relieved that my cv joints seem to be fine as well. A few millimeters of play in/out but no other movement at all, and the cv boots look fine as well.

So to all who have offered advice over the past few weeks of me worrying like a wuss - THANKS VERY MUCH.....the truck is running and handling like a different beast.

Now i just have to find somewhere to store the shock absorbers i ordered as i don't think i need them just yet!
            adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

"Now i just have to find somewhere to store the shock absorbers i ordered as i don't think i need them just yet!"Try storing them under the wheel arches in place of the old ones.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
              X