oils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oils?

dont know if therre is a definitive answer but Help or Explain would be apreciated....I keep getting different things re the oils in doth difs, transfer box and auto gear box eg sae75-90 or 90 or 80...dextron 11 or 111, I can read instructions etc but when they contradict????
    I have spent many hours doing a rebuild because some idiot didn't make sure that all was right before fitting an engine/saw me comming and ripped me off
    I dont know which, but now having spent C£2000 I want to make sure that this time all is right. I am sure that none of you enthusiasts can blame me for that having bought a 'dog' this bi*ch aint gona beat me!
    Pleeeeeeeeeeese help

Hi
    looking at the schedule for the 3.0L the grades and amounts for the diffs appear to be different, is it because the 3.0L has diff diffs?? also the transfer box is listed under man trans. I have just looked under the beast and it does have a transfer box, can you confirm the type of oil and capacity for the 3.0L auto (and being realy thick) does SAE70-90 mean a multgrade or 'from 70 -90' I ask because some kind mate has given me 5 ltrs of SAE 80 GL5!
    regards
    Tony

ps reposted cos I think I got it wrong and lost it, if anyone finds it elsewhere sorry!
    Last edited by fatfires; 13 July 2005, 09:02. Reason: perhaps ot clear or me paranoid?
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

OK, been reseaching...

Standard rear diffs GL5, SAE 90 for above 18 deg C or 80W or 80W-90 for below 18 deg C. 2.2 Liters

LSD rear diffs just use specific LSD gear oil.

Front diffs without ADD (not Surfs) are same as rear diffs above. 1.6 Liters

Front diffs with ADD (all 2nd gen Surfs) are GL5 SAE 75W-90. 1.86 Liters

Planetary T/case (Automatic and most manual Surfs) needs GL4 or 5 SAE 75W-90 1.1 Liters

Reduction gear T/case (MK1 Surfs, and manual 4Runners) as above but 1.6 liters.

I wouldn't worry about the actual amounts, rather go by the fill levels on the diffs and t/case.

I'd get the multigrade, the straight 80 seems only recommended to cold climates.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Oil OK Now!

Originally posted by TonyN
      OK, been reseaching...

Standard rear diffs GL5, SAE 90 for above 18 deg C or 80W or 80W-90 for below 18 deg C. 2.2 Liters

LSD rear diffs just use specific LSD gear oil.

Front diffs without ADD (not Surfs) are same as rear diffs above. 1.6 Liters

Front diffs with ADD (all 2nd gen Surfs) are GL5 SAE 75W-90. 1.86 Liters

Planetary T/case (Automatic and most manual Surfs) needs GL4 or 5 SAE 75W-90 1.1 Liters

Reduction gear T/case (MK1 Surfs, and manual 4Runners) as above but 1.6 liters.

I wouldn't worry about the actual amounts, rather go by the fill levels on the diffs and t/case.

I'd get the multigrade, the straight 80 seems only recommended to cold climates.

Many thanks Tony
      where would we all be....................etc..... ...etc
      by the way have you ever had the little breather cap (bout thr size of a cotton reel) come off when working on a motor..mine has twice now and has ended up between the starter and block and the only way to get it out is starter out!!! any ideas to stop this (except dont knock it off!!), I thought of a foam job like the lumps elsewhere...do they do anything except stop muck build up? Ta again
      tony
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

Working...
      X