Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking condition of Steering Idler

Guys,
    A garage has adviced me that the Steering Idler is worn. I am not sure if it is, as I am sure it was renewed by the importer before delivery.

How do I chekc the Steering idler for wear - I assume, this is the thingamy just in front of the NS Fr wheel?

Ta
    Udhi

Jack the wheel up & get someone to move the wheel left to right by hand as you watch for any play. Look around the balljoint end then around were the shaft goes vertical.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Hi Mark,
      Do you mean the steering wheel to be turned to and fro, while I look at the idler bits or do you mean the actual road wheel to be rotated or pivoted while I observe - gotta make sure, you have NO idea what I am capable of!!

To what extent should there be movement at all at the places mentioned?

Ta V much
      Udhi

Comment

i found the wear in the vertical bushes in my idler arm when the front left wheel was jacked up, weight on f/rh, when i tried to move the wheel in the horizontal plane, as steering, the small amount of play in the arm bushes became a HUGE amount of slack movement in the rest of the steering, explained a lot of my handling probs!!
        worth noting that you can re bush the idler for a LOT less than replacing it, unfortunately i only found this site and that gem of info about a week after replacing mine
        Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
          Guys,
          A garage has adviced me that the Steering Idler is worn. I am not sure if it is, as I am sure it was renewed by the importer before delivery.

How do I chekc the Steering idler for wear - I assume, this is the thingamy just in front of the NS Fr wheel?

Ta
          Udhi
          If worn there will be movement as shown by the arrows in the photo. Jack the front passeneger side, grab the sides of the wheel and try and move from side to side. Any wear will show up as movement. The plastic bushes inside the arm can be replaced but as often as not the steel rod in the middle has rusted away so the whole arm needs replacing. Milners sell both items- but I think I have a spare set of plastic bushes if you need them?
          Attached Files

Comment

Heres a breakdown of the bits.
            Attached Files
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Guys,
              A Thanks you, from the bottom of my heart, for all the comprehensive advice - again!

I will have it looked at and sorted over the weekend or so. BTW, there is a company floating around that sells the idler for about 75 - 80 quid with 12 month warranty. I think its called Auto Japanese Spares. Auto Japanese Spares They are an Ebay shop, note that I have not used them - yet.

Regards
              Udhi

Comment

The bushes are actually cheaper from Toyota than Milners... at least mine were....

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X