Best oil type / filter for 3.0 SSR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best oil type / filter for 3.0 SSR?

Hi, basic question, would welcome any advice! Doing first oil change and read a number of threads - still wondering if there is a certain brand and type of oil best for the diesel 3.0? ie. mobil 10W-30? Also, having looked at Milner Offroad is a standard Oil filter fine, or does anyone shop around for particular brands? Cheers!

Milners or Roughtrax seem to be the most popular really. As for oil, Milners use Mobil I think but I wouldnt go mad if its gets dropped out every 5000kms as it should.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Hi mate,

Welcome to Surfdom.

There has been a very recent thread that has covered this topic entitled fuel / oil additives (or something like that). Should be easy to find.

A guy on that thread said something that made a lot of sense - basically, the oil should be used under the following conditions:

If you're using your surf very regularly and doing lots of mileage then a cheap oil (obviously still needs to be suitable for use with Turbo Diesels) with frequent oil changes is fine. However, if you're only using it infrequently and for loads of short trips, then a good quality oil is worth shelling out for.

Certainly if you do a search on the forum you find loads of info.

Re supplier of filters etc. RoughTrax (www.toyotahilux.com) are excellent. Barry who's the 'man' there is always helpful and can give you advice on everything surf related.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

Rob
      Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Good stuff. Spoken with Barry, indeed a helpful fella!

Will go through all the relevant threads, but you can no doubt expect more questions in due course!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyJ
          Hi, basic question, would welcome any advice! Doing first oil change and read a number of threads - still wondering if there is a certain brand and type of oil best for the diesel 3.0? ie. mobil 10W-30? Also, having looked at Milner Offroad is a standard Oil filter fine, or does anyone shop around for particular brands? Cheers!
          Hi,
          Bearing in mind the age of the engine and the fact that when it was new the oils available prolly did not include fully synthetic ie Mobil 1 and similar, I would not therefore recommend you use anything more sophisticated than semi-synthetic turbo diesel multigrade from any of about seven major oil suppliers Castrol, Ovaline, Duckhams, Comma, Valvoline, Halfords. Change oil and filter as recommended at 5000 mile intervals. There can be technical problems when the lubricant is finer than the clearances which the engine was honed to originally. For this reason most classic car buffs use an appropriate "age related" oil in their motors vital lubrication system.

Uplander

Comment

Thanks Uplander, that too seems like sound advice. I've bought a mineral oil from Screwfix, a supplier which someone recently mentioned on here (excellent web service). Basic mineral oil, with a view to regular changes. Seems to fit with your advice.

Main problem now is finding a diagram for the 3.0 model, with exact oil filter and drain plug locations! first time for everything, but IDing the right parts would be helpful....

Comment

Main problem now is finding a diagram for the 3.0 model, with exact oil filter and drain plug locations! first time for everything, but IDing the right parts would be helpful.... [/QUOTE]
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Greebo; 30 June 2005, 14:38.
              mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

My Oh My, or should I say, yours Oh Yours !

Originally posted by Greebo
                Main problem now is finding a diagram for the 3.0 model, with exact oil filter and drain plug locations! first time for everything, but IDing the right parts would be helpful....
                [/QUOTE]

Havin that cool K & N sure gives a load more space to play with the oil filter, and other ancillary parts down that side of the motor, must remember that, great piccies, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Greebo
                  [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pics, that is excellent! Much obliged.

Comment

Working...
                  X