Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• larger tyres - causing steering problems

Hi,

Just joined this forum but have owned my 93 2.4td Surf for 3 years now.
    Have recently replaced my standard 15" wheels and tyres with a set of 16" rims and General Ameritrac's (can't remember the exact dimensions right now). The wheels were bought indirectly from another Hilux owner who upsized to 17"s.

However, since replacing them 4-6 weeks ago, I've noticed more and more tyre noise (squeaking) when I try to steer at lower speeds as well increasing difficulty in turning the wheel. There's no rubbing except on rough terrain (which is v.rare).

Have I put too much pressure on the steering setup with these slightly larger wheels and is there any recommendations on what I can check firstly?
    I've had a search through the forum but couldn't find anything similar that helped me out (not being qualified in the mechanical arena!).

Any help is greatfully appreciated.

Kris.

Originally posted by minihummer
    Hi,

Just joined this forum but have owned my 93 2.4td Surf for 3 years now.
    Have recently replaced my standard 15" wheels and tyres with a set of 16" rims and General Ameritrac's (can't remember the exact dimensions right now). The wheels were bought indirectly from another Hilux owner who upsized to 17"s.

However, since replacing them 4-6 weeks ago, I've noticed more and more tyre noise (squeaking) when I try to steer at lower speeds as well increasing difficulty in turning the wheel. There's no rubbing except on rough terrain (which is v.rare).

Have I put too much pressure on the steering setup with these slightly larger wheels and is there any recommendations on what I can check firstly?
    I've had a search through the forum but couldn't find anything similar that helped me out (not being qualified in the mechanical arena!).

Any help is greatfully appreciated.

Kris.
    There are quite a few 2nd gens running 16"tyres - more info about the tyres needed - size and type would be good.
    Did you go for a more agressive tyre? If so that might cause the squeaking.
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
      There are quite a few 2nd gens running 16"tyres - more info about the tyres needed - size and type would be good.
      Did you go for a more agressive tyre? If so that might cause the squeaking.
      Hi Linda,

You could have a good point there. The Ameritrac (265 75 R16) is a ON-OFF Road Split 60%-40% tyre whereas the General Cooper I had on the older wheels were an 80%-20% split.

Would it also make the steering very heavy at low speeds?
      The reason I ask is that my wife drives the Hilux and parks in a multi storey each day at work - recently she's noticed the steering being particularly difficult to get around the corners.

Comment

Hi Linda,

You could have a good point there. The Ameritrac (265 75 R16) is a ON-OFF Road Split 60%-40% tyre whereas the General Cooper I had on the older wheels were an 80%-20% split.
        265 75 are about 1" taller than 31x10.5" tyres, and fractionally wider, it should'nt affect the steering that much more than normal. If the offset is wider than before, the wheels will be stiff to turn if you have the brakes on, as you've moved the pivot point from in line with the balljoints, to outside it, so the tyre will have to roll a little as it turns, making it harder with the brakes on.

The squeaking could be under or over inflated, try less pressure than normal for bigger tyres, or just cos the pivot radius has chaged as above. Or just noisy tyres!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

is it the tyres squealing or the power steering belt?
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

The reason I ask is that my wife drives the Hilux and parks in a multi storey each day at work - recently she's noticed the steering being particularly difficult to get around the corners.
            Is that where you notice the squeaking too, or is on normal roads also? My A/T's make a heck of a racket in the local multi storey - I think its the surface they use. They are fine on normal roads tho.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Morning all,

Well I took it out for a drive last night and had a look around the block afterwards.
              Found what looks like a burst/melted pipe on the right hand side of the block just below the oil filter and am wondering if this could be related to the power steering setup??????

I think the power steering belt could be the more likely culprit for the noise at low speed turns.......

(I'm hoping that 2 photos I took this morning come out on this reply)

Kris
              Attached Files

Comment

I just got it checked out up the road at a local garage.

It turns out that the pictures I posted above are a wire (wasn't obvious from the angle I was looking at it from).

The power steering pump is on the way out, so I'm off on the hunt for a replacement.

Thanks for all your help folks,

I'll be back!

Kris.

Comment

Working...
                X