low oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low oil pressure

My Oil Pressure Gauge Is Reading A Bit On The Low Side(1/4)on Meter,it Go's Up A Little Bit When Driveing But Not A Lot About Half Way ,but I Also Have A Small Leak Of Oil Coming From The Back Of The Rocker Box,
    Could This Be The Problem?
    It Is A 2.4 Auto Surf On A K-plate 93 (kn130- I Think!!)
    Also:
    1)is The Rocker Gasket Easy To Replace?
    2)is There Somewhere I Can Print Of Details Of How To Change This?
    Regards Dan

Whens the last time you changed the oil ?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by madmax
      My Oil Pressure Gauge Is Reading A Bit On The Low Side(1/4)on Meter,it Go's Up A Little Bit When Driveing But Not A Lot About Half Way ,but I Also Have A Small Leak Of Oil Coming From The Back Of The Rocker Box,
      Could This Be The Problem?
      It Is A 2.4 Auto Surf On A K-plate 93 (kn130- I Think!!)
      Also:
      1)is The Rocker Gasket Easy To Replace?
      2)is There Somewhere I Can Print Of Details Of How To Change This?
      Regards Dan
      Hi mate mine has been reading lower than usual of late. I thought I'd sort the slight leak on the rocker gasket and lost the plug at the back so the engine then spewed oil all over the place on a drive afterwards. Not too bad a job if you dont lose the plug (cheers for mine Tony, new one in post today).
      My gasket was OK so I used RTV sealer as well, but when i came to redo the plug the next day i stripped a thread on one bolt taking out and snapped another installing it. Whether or not its realated I dont knowbut my pressure is now worse than before
      Ill see if another oil change cures it.

Can give you a quick step by step if your stuck?
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Oil Last Changed About 3000klms Ago.but I Can See Where The Oil Is Runing Down The Back Of The Block.where Is The Plug?so I Know What To Look Ouy For.
        Cheers Dan

Comment

its at the back of the rocker cover mate, feel down the back of the rocker cover round the seam, if you can feel a shaped hole its gone!
          Id doubt it though cos you will run out of oil quick and this should not have been affected doing an oil change.
          Tim

Comment

OK DIRTYDOY WILL TAKE A LOOK ,COULD IT BE LEAKING FROM THIS HOLE?IS IT SOMETHING THAT COULD LEAK AS THERE SEEMS TO BE A LOT OF OIL RUNNING DOWN THE BACK OF BLOCK, OIL ON DRIVEWAY AND A BIT OF A MESS UNDER TRUCK ie:ROUND GEARBOX CASEING AND EXHAUST!!
            REGARDS DANNY

Comment

well mate im stuck now too, i know my rocker cover isnt leaking, at least im 99% sure it aint and I have a leak in the same place... round gearbox casing and bottom of exhaust etc.
              Tim

Comment

It Must Be Catching!!!!

Comment

Might be the oil filter that you used, some aren't so good.

Also what type of oil did you use, some of the more modern types will give lower oil pressure because they are less viscous than the odler types - oil flow is more important than pressure.

Could be a sticking pressure relief valve.

A leaking rocker cover gasket is unlikely to cause low oil pressure - unless you are letting the oil level drop too much - first time I changed the head on mine, I mistakenly left the plug out of the back and still had 3/4 oil pressure when revving it until I lost too much oil.

Other than that it could need a flush through with engine flush.

Other things to look at, is the heat shield fitted on the turbo, otherwise it will get very hot and thin the oil down too much with resulting VERY low oil pressure.

Cheers

Comment

cheers Andy - I thought of the filter last night when driving around... will try and sort today. thanken you
                    Tim

Comment

Cheers For That Will Change Oil And Filter Tomorrow,before Going Down The Gasket Road,
                      Regards Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X