Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Wheel / Bike Rack Issues

Just a quick query....

Just wondered if there were any alternatives to my big fat spare wheel on my boot?

Can you stow a 'Get you home' type wheel anywhere else or do people strap them inside - can you get them for the Surf??

I want to fit a bike rack on the tow hitch.

Also aesthetically i much prefer the Surf without it on the back and living in Bristol I can see mine getting nicked like the plant pots in front of our house that went the other night

Plenty of Surfs (like mine) have an underslung spare that takes a full size wheel. You may be able to get the bits you need online, from your local Toyota dealer (I believe that all 4Runners have underslung spares), or have a word with anyone of the people that are breaking Surfs.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
      Plenty of Surfs (like mine) have an underslung spare that takes a full size wheel. You may be able to get the bits you need online, from your local Toyota dealer (I believe that all 4Runners have underslung spares), or have a word with anyone of the people that are breaking Surfs.

Cool!

So you reckon I don't have to have the wheel on the back then?
      I'll have a look tonight and see if theres space for a wheel underneath..
      Stoked if there is

Comment

you will probably have herds of people with the spare underneath offering to swap. if you do, it gets a bit involved as you really want to swap lights and tailgate too... what colour is yours?
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

with the wheel you have bags of space under the back.... when im working on the car I can sit upright under there with the car on the floor
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Just one thing to check - some size wheels and tow-bar combinations will not fit underneath. My tow hitch means I could not fit my 31x10.5 tyres underneath as there is not enough room between axle and the hitch bar. Although I know with some (maybe witter?) towbars you still can. Just a thought.

Also you could (although not recommended) just take it off and carry one of those cans of tyre weld/inflater things. Obviously no good for a blowout or a big puncture hole or whatever but those are not that common.
            No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
              Just one thing to check - some size wheels and tow-bar combinations will not fit underneath. My tow hitch means I could not fit my 31x10.5 tyres underneath as there is not enough room between axle and the hitch bar. Although I know with some (maybe witter?) towbars you still can. Just a thought.

Also you could (although not recommended) just take it off and carry one of those cans of tyre weld/inflater things. Obviously no good for a blowout or a big puncture hole or whatever but those are not that common.

Cheers for the information...

I'd only be using a standard spare wheel and tyre, so fitting should be fairly simple - then again, how would I check??

Colourwise, its the metallic burgundy / wine red....

If its an easy job to change them over I'll do a swap with someone within 30-40miles of Bristol...

Ta
              Dan

Comment

Working...
              X