front end noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front end noise

my 1992 surf failed its WOF ( MOT equivelent) (i'm from new zealand ).For not being able to have its front wheels turned by hand by pushing on them while the front end is jacked up .It also had recently developed a squek coming from the drivers side front while cornering at low speeds (metal on metal contact sound )The outer tie rod end was knackered so i replaced it but made no difference the idler arm has been recently replaced .I'm guessing it is the ball joints or the front cv joints .any ideas on what the problem is and how hard it is to fix ?cheers.

Is a brake caliper piston sticking on? this would stop you from turning wheel by hand?
    does the front hub feel hot after driving and does it pull to one side when driving or braking?
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

I had front end rattle. Turned out that the oil filter cover plate bolts were loose
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

When you say 'wheels turned by hand' - do you mean the wheels won't rotate or that you can't turn the steering by pushing on the wheel?

Kev

Comment

Steering wont turn when pushed by hand.When i replaced the tie rod end and had the steering disconected on the drivers side it was still unable to be turned and the passenger side moved freely so i'm pretty certain its the drivers side balljoints but they dont seem to be worn or have any play in them so could it be something else ? I want to be sure i fix the problem first time round rather than doing unnecessarily repairs.

Comment

This may sound a little silly but was the ignition in the lock position when trying to turn.

Neville

Comment

Does sound like a really jammed balljoint, a CV joint that tight would have torn itself to bits while driving along. (unless you have manual hubs and its unlocked)

If they are that tight, you won't see any play or wear in them!
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Steering wasnt locked .I tryed with the engine running and it was still the same .I'm going to replace both the drivers side ball joints this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                X