yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - High/low Gear Stick Nob - How to get it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - High/low Gear Stick Nob - How to get it off?

The 4WD button is making an very annoying rattling noise - I'm guessing that there's a little spring behind the button that has given up the fight.

I've unscrewed the little screw from the side, but the nob, but it's still attached to the leather 'sock' thingy. Starting to look as though the centre console's going to have to come out!

Question is, does it have to? Or can the nob be pulled off from the 'sock' thingy without damaging owt?

Hope someone can help.

Rob
    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Originally posted by nednil
    The 4WD button is making an very annoying rattling noise - I'm guessing that there's a little spring behind the button that has given up the fight.

I've unscrewed the little screw from the side, but the nob, but it's still attached to the leather 'sock' thingy. Starting to look as though the centre console's going to have to come out!

Question is, does it have to? Or can the nob be pulled off from the 'sock' thingy without damaging owt?

Hope someone can help.

Rob
    The 'cure' for KNOB RATTLE is to stick a sliver of the 'fluffy' half of self adhesive Velcro (TM) tape in beside the button. No need to dismantle anything.

Nevillef

Comment

Awesome...

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
      The 'cure' for KNOB RATTLE is to stick a sliver of the 'fluffy' half of self adhesive Velcro (TM) tape in beside the button. No need to dismantle anything.

Nevillef
      ...thanks for the rapid response Nevillef - thought that I'd need to wait ages for soemone to respond.

Will give that a whirl.

Cheers m8.

Rob
      Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Originally posted by nednil

Question is, does it have to? Or can the nob be pulled off from the 'sock' Rob
        Easy.Put the screw back in and remove the "sock" first by carefully pulling outwards and moving down the gear lever.It's held in place by a circular shaped clip with little hooks on the ends.You just need to work it over these.Remove the screw and the knob will pull off.There are two wires attached and if you push the sock down the lever you should be able to pull the wires through enough to disconnect at the plug under the console.

Neville

Comment

I thought the 4WD button could simply be carefully prised out of its socket (and therefore gain access to the mechanism/spring without any dismantling of anything).

I am sure I have had mine out this way before - I was going to put a bit of silicone sealant at the back of the switch in such a way that it still works but pads out the switch a bit and hopefully curing the rattle (although that was on my old surf - not had a problem yet on the new one).
          No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Working...
          X