Torsion Bar adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torsion Bar adjustment

How do I adjust the torsion bar settings to raise the ride height? Is it just a case of cranking the nut down, or is it more complex?
    I'm thinking of replacing my stock shocks for procomp es9000's and putting lifted shocks in the rear, maybe the landcrusier 80 ones. Then cranking up the standard torsion bars to lift the front.

Any opinions greatly received.

Cheers

Kiwi

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/torsion/index.htm

Neville

Comment

Cheers Nev, just what I needed

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi
        Cheers Nev, just what I needed
        Carefull with the 80 springs as ive just done to the rear of my Surf with alarming results!!!! Pics to come soon.....
        3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Yeah I jnow Steve - I've been reading your thread with interest. You've managed to scare me off the idea of the 80 springs, so I'll play it safe it get some +2" instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi
            Yeah I jnow Steve - I've been reading your thread with interest. You've managed to scare me off the idea of the 80 springs, so I'll play it safe it get some +2" instead.
            I think that 80 springs that are the same rating as the Milners H/D surf ones would be ok. But still got to sort something.. as i would like just a 3" lift. I have been considering putting 2" lift springs back in with 1" spacers but that would not change the load carrying capacity. Mine does look damn good now just that theres no give in the rear axle which feels weird on the road. And i there is only 1" of downward travel before it bottoms out....

Comment

just an aditional point DON'T try to adjust the torsion bars with the trucks weight on them, i did, they don't half make a loud bang when they snap! plus they put a hole in the floor! luckly there was enough room under the truck because of the lift when the front end collapsed.
              Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Originally posted by openback
                just an aditional point DON'T try to adjust the torsion bars with the trucks weight on them, i did, they don't half make a loud bang when they snap! plus they put a hole in the floor! luckly there was enough room under the truck because of the lift when the front end collapsed.
                Good point. I think the garage that did mine adjusted them with the Surf on a ramp and it was fine. But stil a good idea, lift up front end then adjust and drop back down, if its to high then you can lower it ok....

Comment

Working...
                X