Brake 'clunk'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake 'clunk'

Been driving the surf for a couple of weeks now and have noticed that under heavier braking there is a clunk from the back just before stopping. I don't think there is anything loose as there is no noise when accelerating.

Anybody got any ideas? I'd appreciate any feedback
    My other car is a GTR

PROPSHAFT maybe in need of some grease.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Funnily enough I get the same noise. I've already done my propshaft UJ's so it isn't that. It might be the back axle moving on the radius arms (worn bushes?) but I think it may be something loose moving in one of the rear tool bins or possibly even the jack moving under the seat.

Would be interested to know if you find out anything.
      Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
        Funnily enough I get the same noise. I've already done my propshaft UJ's so it isn't that. It might be the back axle moving on the radius arms (worn bushes?) but I think it may be something loose moving in one of the rear tool bins or possibly even the jack moving under the seat.

Would be interested to know if you find out anything.
        Maybe the spare is a bit loose?

Comment

It could well be the jack as it seems to be from the rear left, I'll pad it out tomorrow and do some trials
          My other car is a GTR

Comment

not your rear drums knocking? Might need a clean perhaps?
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by kempy
              Been driving the surf for a couple of weeks now and have noticed that under heavier braking there is a clunk from the back just before stopping. I don't think there is anything loose as there is no noise when accelerating.

Anybody got any ideas? I'd appreciate any feedback
              Just had the MOT and the nice chap doing it noticed that there was play in the rear ant-roll bar "D" bushes that hold the bar to the rear axle, you can tell by crawling under and grab the bar on each side and pull, any play will be obvious. Anyway 6 quid each from Rough Trax. They are split bushes so you don't even have to take the bar off or even jack the car, just 2 bolts each, pop the old ones off and clip the new ones on, tighten up, 10-15 mins, job done. Result. No more clunking. 13 years old and sails its MOT, gave me that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Comment

After trying out a few things it seems likely it was the jack moving wound it out to wedge it in place and all is quiet now

Just need to do something to keep the mrs quiet now

Thank for all the help
                My other car is a GTR

Comment

Picking bull bar up tomorrow so may need some more help when I try to fit it
                  Last edited by kempy; 30 July 2005, 19:06.
                  My other car is a GTR

Comment

Originally posted by kempy
                    After trying out a few things it seems likely it was the jack moving wound it out to wedge it in place and all is quiet now

Just need to do something to keep the mrs quiet now

Thank for all the help
                    Try putting her under the seat, that will stop the jack moving
                    Tony
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

Working...
                    X