No announcement yet.

whistling query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought that a whistling turbo meant that it was not perfectly balanced, which it needs to be at the rpm it operates at. My 3.00 whistles like a kettle but is has very low milage so I'm assuming it must be OK. But then has anyone ever heard a REO (american ww2 army lorry), now that whistles!
    Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by SURFVIRGIN
      hi all. ive read a few threads on here saying that if your turbo whistles its one of the better ones. is this true. mine whistles, not worryingly, in fact she sounds sweet but was wondering if there realy are different turbo`s fitted to 93 ssrx 2.4 auto`s. thanks in advance peeps
      The Turbos are all the same type whether 2.4 or 3 litre (also 4.2 Landcruiser). Model is Toyota CT20. It will whistle if you have a bit of an air leak generally on the output side. Also bear in mind that they are rotating at over 20K rpm so you will be really lucky if they make no sound whatsoever.

Cheers

Comment

No, you're REALLY Lucky.

sorry.

Comment

found a split on the 90degree elbow (just on the join) that goes into the Turbo, maybe that might makes mine quite loud. Toyota want over £25 for one! Im gonna get a silicone one instead.

Dont forget on the 2.4 its right in front of you
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
            found a split on the 90degree elbow (just on the join) that goes into the Turbo, maybe that might makes mine quite loud. Toyota want over £25 for one! Im gonna get a silicone one instead.

Dont forget on the 2.4 its right in front of you

Hey Tim,
            Have you found a place that does them, 'cos I could really do with one aswell. mine is all crumbly around the jubilee clips.
            Cheerz, Vince.

Comment

yeah same place as mine then... found out doing the new rocker cover gasket (ended up being a nightmare!) and took all bits off for a clean as most were oily.
              Ive been looking on ebay as it goes, search for Samco and you will find loads of hoses "not samco" etc etc will have a look now. what diammeter is it do you know?
              Tim

Comment

yeah same place as mine then... found out doing the new rocker cover gasket (ended up being a nightmare!) and took all bits off for a clean as most were oily.
                Ive been looking on ebay as it goes, search for Samco and you will find loads of hoses "not samco" etc etc will have a look now. what diammeter is it do you know?

Sorry for the delay, I'm in the middle of decorating.....drinking tea.......sitting in the sun.......hosing down the dogs, (too hot for them).
                Anyway, size of hose is 75mm/3"

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Sorry for the delay, I'm in the middle of decorating.....drinking tea.......sitting in the sun.......hosing down the dogs, (too hot for them).
                  Anyway, size of hose is 75mm/3"
                  cheers!
                  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...978607612&rd=1

the price from toyota was not far off that with VAT. they look too long but can be cut down, im wondering about the little notched that are on the underside of the pipe but I guess silicone is soft so should be ok.

enjoy the sun!
                  Tim

Comment

cheers!
                    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...978607612&rd=1

the price from toyota was not far off that with VAT. they look too long but can be cut down, im wondering about the little notched that are on the underside of the pipe but I guess silicone is soft so should be ok.

enjoy the sun!

Yeah I thought about the little notch/flat area too, but I'm removing my air con gubbins soon (had the truck 18 months and never got round to regassing it) so it should'nt be a problem

By the way, I notice on the ebay link that the same silicone hose is £8 cheaper at the bottom of the page.

Comment

Working...
                    X