Turbo over run do da.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo over run do da.

Howdy all.got another question (i must seem a right muppet,only if I can be the chef though-HURDY BURDY GIRDY).On me surf I got this little device just by me left leg on the centre console bit.It's a turbo over run thingy I've been told.Is this a common thing to have and what does it do apart from the obvious of letting the engine run on.It can run from 30sec--5 Mins.

Originally posted by Stingray500
    Howdy all.got another question (i must seem a right muppet,only if I can be the chef though-HURDY BURDY GIRDY).On me surf I got this little device just by me left leg on the centre console bit.It's a turbo over run thingy I've been told.Is this a common thing to have and what does it do apart from the obvious of letting the engine run on.It can run from 30sec--5 Mins.
    It's to prolong the life of your turbo. It gives it a chance to cool down after heavy driving (motorway, trailer towing etc) and reduces bearing wear.
    Not sure it's legal here though as it is illegal to leave the engine running when you are out of the vehicle. I got cautioned for it a few years ago. I used to start the engine on a frosty morning and lock the car with the spare key. Plod was not impressed.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Cheers mate.I had no idea! Oh well if the fuzz pull me over I'll just plead stupid!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        It's to prolong the life of your turbo. It gives it a chance to cool down after heavy driving (motorway, trailer towing etc) and reduces bearing wear.
        Not sure it's legal here though as it is illegal to leave the engine running when you are out of the vehicle. I got cautioned for it a few years ago. I used to start the engine on a frosty morning and lock the car with the spare key. Plod was not impressed.

i think it depends how it is wired i have one on my surf but it,s done through my clifford alarm so even if anybody does get into it they cant go anyware.
        I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

My turbo timer works if I pull the handbrake on before I switch off ignition.
          If I switch off in 'park' without handbrake, engine shuts down immediately.

Comment

Working...
          X