Blowing Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing Smoke

I`ve noticed that i`m blowing white smoke on start up, it goes after a bit. But if i stop for a few mins and turn the engine off it blows out again on start up. Please help and be gentle i don`t think i can afford a major job.

I had the same prob a couple of weeks ago, the exhaust kept belching light grey smoke. Turned out to be really low on engine oil. topped it up and has been o.k.
    Failing that it could just be that you need new glow plugs.

Comment

Checked the oil and it was fine. How do i know if its the glow plugs

Comment

Originally posted by Mark T
        Checked the oil and it was fine. How do i know if its the glow plugs
        do a search for glow plugs its been covered before, how to test etc.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

I`ve noticed that i`m blowing white smoke on start up, it goes after a bit. But if i stop for a few mins and turn the engine off it blows out again on start up. Please help and be gentle i don`t think i can afford a major job.
          grey/black smoke is normal..if your's is definitely white, not grey, then its steam..which means, heavy condensation in the exhaust through not getting it up to temperature, or, the dreaded head scenario...i'd see whats going on under the bonnet with the cooling system..ie, rad losing coolant..i'm no expert, but i recall seeing a thread which explained that a fine crack will open at temp, then when you shut down, the crack will allow coolant to escape through it, and into the bore..which is spat through the zaust at start up..

obviously thats a worst case scenario, and there are probably loads of options to explore first..but the liners can corrode if left too long, making the job of replacing the head, a little more involved..

Comment

Just a thought, have you tried emptying the water out of the fuel filter?
            I like Orientals

Comment

I haven`t tried anything yet. I`m losing coolant but not sure where from, I noticed it on the floor when i parked up tonight. What should be the first and cheapest things to try.

Comment

puddles on the floor can either be coolant from a leaking rad, coolant from the expansion tank overflowing, or simply condensation from the air-con.

if your's is losing coolant, then its not the air-con..see if your rad has sprung a leak, check the cap too, the springs can get sloppy, allowing coolant into the expansion at too low a pressure..

the other thing could be the coolant system pressurising..a cracked head will allow exhaust gas into the water chambers which in turn will cause the coolant out of the expansion bottle..then, when you switch the motor off, the reverse will happen, in that the coolant will seep into the bores until the engine cools and the crack closes up.

run your car with the expansion bottle cap off, see if the coolant is bubbling or frothing, make sure the rubber tube is immersed though..if it is, i'd suspect the head.

its probably something you don't want to deal with, but the heads are easily available, and once replaced, should be good for the life of the car..some 2.4 heads have a design fault, so you're not alone..i really hope its something simpler, i'm not saying it is head related, but white smoke/steam and coolant loss usually equals "oh dear, wheres me wallet love, the decorating will have to wait".

Comment

Ran the engine without the cap on and nothing happened. The fluid is coming out of the expansion tank i think, after its been running for a good few miles. But nothing if its running on the drive

Comment

Ran the engine without the cap on and nothing happened. The fluid is coming out of the expansion tank i think, after its been running for a good few miles. But nothing if its running on the drive
                    hmm, i'll be honest mark..i'm a bit out of my depth here buddy..you might be better threading this in the 2.4 section, as it'll reach the right eyes, faster..it might simply be the rad cap, you can get one mail order from milners.
                    however, if the problem is due to a head crack, opening up at road temperature, then you need better advice than i can give..if coolant is getting into the bore, then you need to address the problem sooner rather than later..ok, it might not be urgent..but two things come to mind..the first is the issue of corrosion, the second, the fact that water doesn't compress like fuel..get enough coolant in there and something might bend, both issues equal more expense..

Comment

Working...
                    X