Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air con regas - What gas?

Just got my Surf '92 2.4 ssx-r
    However it does need a little work on it. ie new cylinder head as the old had cracked on all 4 valve sets. I have the local main dealer doing this for me so I thought that while they had it in I would get the aircon re gassed. He has told me they cannot do it as it is R12 gas which they don't use they only do R134. As I know the recent history of the car I rang the firm that charged the system last year and they assured me that they had used R134 as that is all that can be used and there were no problems.
    Anyone else had this problem and if so what is the best solution that won,t cost me a fortune.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Never underestimate the power of idiiots in large groups!![/FONT]

Apparently, there is a gas called R24 (or RS24, summat like that) that was developed as a direct replacement for the R12.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

I am now totally confused as the dealer says I have the wrong connectors for R134 but when I spoke again to the firm who re-gassed it last time they said that there were no problems so I will be probably go back to them to get it re-charged when I pick the Surf back up next week from the dealer.
      Unless somebody knows of a reputable firm in the Grimsby/Scunthorpe area that can service and re-gas the system for me.

Cheers

Pat.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Never underestimate the power of idiiots in large groups!![/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Pat J
        I am now totally confused as the dealer says I have the wrong connectors for R134 but when I spoke again to the firm who re-gassed it last time they said that there were no problems so I will be probably go back to them to get it re-charged when I pick the Surf back up next week from the dealer.
        Unless somebody knows of a reputable firm in the Grimsby/Scunthorpe area that can service and re-gas the system for me.

Cheers

Pat.
        Hi I live in Grimsby if you get sorted let me know I am in the same boat as you
        I can however re-gas modern systems so if there is a conversion kit let me know and I can point you in the right direction to re-gas
        Cheers Rick

Comment

Cheers

Pat.
          Hi,
          One or other (or both ?) is telling porkies, no ? I too hope you get it sorted. It is true that a lot of japanese home market cars up to the early 1990's were filled with R 12 in the aircon system. However, the kit available in most "go-ahead" uk motor w/shops can test for existing element type, and also for any problem leaks, and whether or not receiver/ dryer or other component needs replaced. Keep us posted on this, it is critical you get it fixed for "the long hot summer" Gud Luk

Uplander

Comment

Cheers

Pat.
            When mine was re-charged with the new gas, the guy fitted new connectors. They are bigger than the old ones.
            Pete

Comment

Cheers

Pat.
              Hi there, I am also looking to get the air con on mine charged up and I live not too far away from you. When I first looked into it a couple of weeks ago I was told that there is a direct replacement gas for the R12 and just to confuse things, if memory serves, its R143 I think!

However, I have a local garage that claims to do all types so I shall be popping in and having a word as soon as i get the opertunity. The other alternative that I have been told might help is to ring round a few fridge maintenance / repair shops. The older fridges used exactly the same gas etc and they have to be able to change it over.

If I have any luck getting mine done I will let you know.

Elfstone

Comment

I'm getting mine regassed today at £150 this includes the conversion to 134.I tried everywhere to get it cheaper but to no avail.
                I'll watch him when he's doing it and see what exactly gets replaced and let you know.
                Accordingly,theres a £7000 fine for using R12 as a replacement?
                CURRY-ER

Comment

hi ive just had mine re gassed...cost me £110 cash... mine was filled with r12...this now apparently contravenes health and safety laws and has been replaced directly with r24... you cannot put r134 gas into these systems without having new hoses / condensor/ exchanger/connectors etc etc fitted the r134 gas will just leak out....what type of connectors have you got are they snap on type or threaded type?mines working fine now they put leak detection uv fluid in was done in about three hours. good luck!
                  DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Ok my a/c is all converted and as cold as ice all done for £141 incl.
                    Job took about an hour on my doorstep.
                    R12 replaced with 134,I asked about the other gas and accordingly it sludges up with the remaining r12 because one is mineral and the other synthetic or something like that,replaced the 'dryer' which is behind the front grille,regassed job done.
                    If you need any advice etc,
                    www.autoairconditioning.co.uk or call freephone 0800 0961219.

A regas is £55.
                    CURRY-ER

Comment

Cheers

Pat.
                      Hi Fella I can help with any air con problem in and around GY give me a bell on 01472 358868 ask for Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X