rattle from front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peace at last

Peace at last .. finally got around to getting the bushes changed - what a difference. Only did the off side as I think it is these that wear because on the nearside, the ADD disconnects the drive shaft so there is never any relative movement between shaft and bush to wear it out. I bought two sets though so if anyone wants them make me a decent offer.

Pic shows new on left and old on right - notice the the smaller old bush has had the entire flange - 2.5mm thick - worn away!!

No wonder it was rattling!!

Kev
    Attached Files
    Last edited by exmee46; 1 July 2005, 07:11.

Comment

i'll ask again - can anyone tell me where to find detailed instructions for carrying out this repair. That one diagram that keeps getting posted may be of use to the more experienced mechanic, but to me its useless.

adam
      adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Originally posted by lightningad
        i'll ask again - can anyone tell me where to find detailed instructions for carrying out this repair. That one diagram that keeps getting posted may be of use to the more experienced mechanic, but to me its useless.

adam
        OK...

Put front on axle stands and remove wheel,
        Undo bolts on inner CV (tight as F***)
        Remove lower shock bolt, and pull shock out of way.
        Remove dome cover from end of drive plate, and bolt under it.
        Remove drive plate (round disc on end of hub 6xnuts and washers)
        Remove circlip on stub shaft
        Pull inner CV off studs and pull drive shaft back through hub. (need to put a jack under lower ball joint, and jack the wishbones up to get shaft to get it out or it won't clear the bottom wishbone.

Then you can drift out the old bushes, one from each end of the hub.

Check CV boots while driveshaft is out and replace if cracking, to save time later.

Reassemble, crack open tinny and relax.

Or, alternativily, pay me to do it!

**EDIT, just noticed you have a 3rd gen! Disregard all the above, it don't work, you don't have the bushes. The wheel bearing supports the hub, and the driveshaft goes straight in to that. Look somewhere else for you noise.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          OK...
          EDIT, just noticed you have a 3rd gen! Disregard all the above, it don't work, you don't have the bushes. The wheel bearing supports the hub, and the driveshaft goes straight in to that. Look somewhere else for you noise.

oh crap! are you kidding ?

OK - anybody, any ideas what could cause the nearside front axle to cause a metallic bang (like hitting a loose manhole cover) when driving over rough roads in two wheel drive (I have tried it in four wheel drive and it does not happen) in a 3rd Gen Surf?
          adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Hey Kevin, do you still have those spare bushes? Give me a PM if you would and let me know how much you want for them.

Cheers

Damian
            Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Damian
              Hey Kevin, do you still have those spare bushes? Give me a PM if you would and let me know how much you want for them.

Cheers

Damian
              Damian,

You can't receive PMs (it tells me). They cost over £30, so I'm looking for £25 incl postage.

Kev

Comment

Hmmm, says the same for you to! Give me a bell on 07789 031 598 so I can arrange payment, address, 'n' things!

Cheers

Damian
                Damian

Comment

worn bushes

Can anyone tell me evactly what the bushes are called that I have to ask for and where I c\an order them from, as my missus is in the uk next week so I can get them delivered to a mates address an she can bring them back to spain,
                  gracias Wade .

Comment

well i've just fixed my clanging noise.

Combination of two loose bolts (inner ones) on the sump guard, and a knackered D-bush on the anti roll bar. Got the anti roll bar bush kit from milners for £11 and now my truck handles like a different beast....and its quiet too.
                    adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Well, just fitted the bushes and........... it's all nice and quiet...... almost! The rattle from the drivers side has gone, completely, but I think I' might need another pair for the N/S..... we'll see.

As long as we have the part No's, don't s'ppose it matters what they're called?
                      Damian

Comment

Originally posted by Damian
                        Well, just fitted the bushes and........... it's all nice and quiet...... almost! The rattle from the drivers side has gone, completely, but I think I' might need another pair for the N/S..... we'll see.

As long as we have the part No's, don't s'ppose it matters what they're called?

Glad they worked Ok Damian. Shame about the other side. Yes, the part numbers are the same both sides.

Kev

Comment

hey guys newbie here again. sounds like a real common problem this rattle. im just wondering tonyN said it doesnt affect the gen3 . are we saying its just a gen1/2 problem? i have a gen 1 jobby and i get this horrid rattle with the window down and its sounding like this may be the problem. i just leave the window done up at the moment and the radio turned up !! are we saying that is not a good fix????? lol+

Comment

had a rattle on mine sounds daft but it was the rivits on the side steps that were loose choped them off and re did them no rattle now

Comment

Working...
                            X