Knackered Oil Seal On Torque Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knackered Oil Seal On Torque Converter

I've got an oil leak from the oil seal on the torque convertor.
    I need to know if this is a simple job or one better left to the Toyo Dealers?

What I need to know is removal of the shaft from the Convertor involves what?

If I remove the shaft what else need doing? Will I have to dissemble the Convertor to get it back?

I can get the oil seal tomorrow and get the job done on Sat or Sun if it's pretty easy.

Need to get this done soon before the drive gets any more speckled.

Cheers

Cant speak definatly for yours, but normally, you remove the gearbox and leave the convertor on the flex plate. the seal should be in the front of the gearbox where the oil pump drive shaft (fixed to the convertor body, the drive shaft comes out the middle of it) goes in the front cover of the gearbox.

I'd expect to just hook it out, and press a new one in.

But who can tell!!!

the oil pump lugs are sometimes hard to line up properly when installing. (I normally take the converter off, mount it on the gearbox and fit the lot together, then bolt the converter to the flex plate afterward.

BUT, like I said, Mr Toyoda might have moved the goal posts, this only a general method.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Cant speak definatly for yours, but normally, you remove the gearbox and leave the convertor on the flex plate. the seal should be in the front of the gearbox where the oil pump drive shaft (fixed to the convertor body, the drive shaft comes out the middle of it) goes in the front cover of the gearbox.

I'd expect to just hook it out, and press a new one in.

But who can tell!!!

the oil pump lugs are sometimes hard to line up properly when installing. (I normally take the converter off, mount it on the gearbox and fit the lot together, then bolt the converter to the flex plate afterward.

BUT, like I said, Mr Toyoda might have moved the goal posts, this only a general method.
      Cheers Tony, sounds like Mr Toyo is getting some more of my hard earned..................bugger

Comment

I've ordered the part 35301A (front oil seal) from Toyo, arriving from Belgium next Thursday (£9.00)

Looking at the diagram it looks like the seal locates at the front of the casting and the shaft is splined from the front meaning the plate can be removed in situ ?? Then the new seal pressed into place.

I dont want to start this job then find the torque convertor need taking apart as I need the car next week to get to Manchester Airport for some much needed R+R.

Any thoughts ??????

Cheers
        Attached Files

Comment

Mate, I'd be tempted to leave the housing in-situ if you can, and hook the seal out on its own with a couple of L shaped small bars in 2 little holes you can punch in the oil seal.

But if not, it looks to come off OK, but I'd try not to disturb the stuff behind it when pulling the cover off if poss.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X