Abs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abs

I have just changed my 2.4 for a 1995 3.0L. This was advertised as having ABS. The only other vehicle I have owned with ABS had an ABS warning light that came on with the ignition and then went off to show that all was well. I can see no similar light on the dash of the truck. Does this mean that the truck does not have ABS? Is there any easy way to check other than stamping on the brakes in wet weather?

It also interested me that there are no SSR -x or similar markings on the truck. My 2.4 SSR-X had a heater for the rear passengers but the 3.0L does not. As a result of this the centre arm-rest has the top cubby hole and a lower one as well - more useful than the rear heater. Does this help anyones suggest the model?

Keep on trucking,

Keith

If its a 2nd gen, ie same shape as you're previous Surf, then it won't have ABS. As far as I know, the only Surfs that have ABS are the 3rd & 4th gens.
    The rear heater is an optional extra - it does't relate to the year or engine type. I think all the SSR-Gs had the rear heaters, so yours is probably an SSR-X or lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith
      I have just changed my 2.4 for a 1995 3.0L. This was advertised as having ABS. The only other vehicle I have owned with ABS had an ABS warning light that came on with the ignition and then went off to show that all was well. I can see no similar light on the dash of the truck. Does this mean that the truck does not have ABS? Is there any easy way to check other than stamping on the brakes in wet weather?

It also interested me that there are no SSR -x or similar markings on the truck. My 2.4 SSR-X had a heater for the rear passengers but the 3.0L does not. As a result of this the centre arm-rest has the top cubby hole and a lower one as well - more useful than the rear heater. Does this help anyones suggest the model?

Keep on trucking,

Keith
      Like Rob said, only 3rd gens have ABS, the only 2nd gens with the 2 center consol pockets are UK 4Runners, every Surf I've seen has a rear heater.

Odd. But the lower pocket is well handy, my mk1 is like this.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Like Rob said, only 3rd gens have ABS, the only 2nd gens with the 2 center consol pockets are UK 4Runners, every Surf I've seen has a rear heater.

Odd. But the lower pocket is well handy, my mk1 is like this.

sounds like a runner, no rear heater, no cup holder, no front interior light lol
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

It's definitely a Surf - cup holder as usual but what it also does not have is hard/soft suspension.

Keith

Comment

Rear heater is optional even on SSR-X although most have them - it is part of the Winter pack which also gives you the twin batteries. 2 compartment console is available on the Surf is the Winter pack is not installed. Probably had the adjustable shocks changed and the switch removed.

ABS definately not available till the 3rd gen although I think it may have been on option on the last models - it mentions it in the manual I think.

SSR-X should have sports seats with adjustable lumbar but not recaros which were on the G.

Only sure way to find out what it was is through the VIN number and inputting it on the EPC.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the input. There really does seem to be a real mixture of equipment in Surfs. Mine does have sport seats and it does have twin batteries. There was no sign of their ever having been a switch for the hard/soft suspension.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                Rear heater is optional even on SSR-X although most have them - it is part of the Winter pack which also gives you the twin batteries. 2 compartment console is available on the Surf is the Winter pack is not installed. Probably had the adjustable shocks changed and the switch removed.

ABS definately not available till the 3rd gen although I think it may have been on option on the last models - it mentions it in the manual I think.

SSR-X should have sports seats with adjustable lumbar but not recaros which were on the G.

Only sure way to find out what it was is through the VIN number and inputting it on the EPC.

Cheers
                hehe, you'll start everyone off again trying to bracket options in surfs! I have three narrow body trucks here ATM, all single battery Surfs, no fuel preheaters, all with rear heaters!!!

:causing trouble...............:
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just goes to show that I think most of the options were built up out of what they had in the parts bin at the time. Mine has the dual battery and rear heater (winter pack) but no fuel pre heater, does have rear heater and sports seats though.

Don't you just love Toyota, if they made things easier there wouldn't be a need for forums I guess

Comment

(actually some US 2nd gen 4Runners had ABS (possibly rear only) but now i'm really stirring...never heard of a 2nd gen Surf with ABS though)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                      If its a 2nd gen, ie same shape as you're previous Surf, then it won't have ABS. As far as I know, the only Surfs that have ABS are the 3rd & 4th gens.
                      The rear heater is an optional extra - it does't relate to the year or engine type. I think all the SSR-Gs had the rear heaters, so yours is probably an SSR-X or lower.
                      iv got a 2nd gen ssr-x and that has got a rear heater

Comment

Working...
                      X