Poxy Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poxy Key

Hi, don't know if this is a common fault or just a bit of wear and tear etc.

8 times out of ten when I turn the engine off the key stops on the "acc" (that's what I think it says) point. No amount of jiggling will get it to switch to off and I can't get the key out.

I have to re-start the engine and hope when I switch it off this time it goes "all the way". Took 6 re-starts tonight. Frustration is not the word !

Is it as simple as a squirt of WD40 or are there dark forces at work ???

Thanks for your help guys

S'pose you've tried this - when it stops on 'acc' do you push the key in and keep turning? That's what I do with mine.

Jacqueline

Comment

Originally posted by Big Marky

8 times out of ten when I turn the engine off the key stops on the "acc" (that's what I think it says) point. No amount of jiggling will get it to switch to off and I can't get the key out.

I have to re-start the engine and hope when I switch it off this time it goes "all the way". Took 6 re-starts tonight. Frustration is not the word !

I had this problem with nearly all of my locks.
      I sorted it with some graphite oil spray from motorcyle accessories places.

Comment

Little spray of lube on the key should do it.

Kev

Comment

Do you have an auto??? Mine won't turn past the 'acc' position if the gear lever isn't in 'P'.

Confused me for a while!!

I guess it makes sure you've put it in park before you leave the vehicle..
          It just does, OK?

Comment

The locks definately start to bind after a few years - you need to get some fine oil (sewing machine oil is ideal) and get it into the lock as soon as possible or you will damage the lock. Is the key you use the only one you have ? as it may be worn so you should get a replacement cut whilst it is still a reasonable template.
            Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Not wanting to step on anyones toes here, but I was told by a locksmith once not to use oil to lubricate locks, as dust sticks to the oil and will probably make things worse in the end.

Comment

I'll give it a squirt tomorrow.

Got two keys and pushing it in makes no difference.

Comment

Working...
                X