4WD issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD issue

Hi guys, new to the site and new to owning a surf.
    My problem is, when i engage 4WD it feels like, (this is about the best way i can describe it) It feels like the tracking has suddenly gone massively out of alignment, the tyres start to squeal, maybe from one side but i couldn't tell you for sure. it also pulls very hard to the left. When you put it back into 2WD everything returns to normal.
    this has happened since i took it of road for the first time, it was only very mild. After playing, fantastic fun by the way, i proceeded to drive back to the road, as i approached i tried to disengage the 4wd but nothing happened, so i continued on to the road to shed some mud to see if that would sort it out, this is when i first noticed the problem. I was unable to get it back into 2wd until the following morning. I have no problems engaging the 4wd or returning to 2wd now.
    Could anybody shed some light on this for me. as i would love to carry on with the offroading.
    thanks for reading this. Allan

transmission wind-up?

from what i gather the problem only occured on the road in 4wd?
    you shouldnt drive on any grippy surface in 4wd as the the 2nd gen surf/4runner has no centre differential. So when in 4wd and making a turn, both front wheels are locked at the same rotational speed, so the inside wheel will try to slip to compensate - which is probably the tyre squeal you heard. If the tyre doesnt slip something else would give instead in the transmission ££££
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Hilux bob had this problem at LANGDALE went in a field driving in reverse jacked wheels up to free it. It eventually freed up in the end.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Working...
      X