IT's DRIVING ME MAD!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT's DRIVING ME MAD!!!!!

I have a 96 3rd gen. Coming from the back/boot area I have a hollow knocking noise when you drive over a bump...ANY BUMP.
    Today I think I have found it-taken spare wheel off and swing arm-the top bracket has a bit of play in it, bottom one is fine.
    BUT the hinges are not bolted but have a huge rivet/bearing so cannot tighten up, short of drilling this out and replacing with a bolt don't know what to do
    Sorry this is so long but has anyone else had same prob? the play in the arm with the weight of the wheel makes a very annoying noise which is amplified through the back door where the arm attatches
    PLEASE HELP!!!!
    ANTZ

Yep, I've exactly the same problem which I reckon was caused by the PO's bike carrier which he had attached to the wheel, crudely made lump of solid steel, must weigh about 4 kilos without a bike attached! Needless to say I've not let it back near the Surf, currently helping prop up part of my garden fence

Like yourself I've had a look but its a sealed assembly. One day I'll get around to removing it and get it disassembled. will no doubt require a bushing made up with a new bolt thru and better provision for greasing than the current set up allows.

Meanwhile using a pointed grease fitting you can get a bit of grease in thru the small hole in the centre of the hinge, visible when the carrier is swung out, this may give temporary relief. Additionally look at the rubber/plastic bumpers fitted to the lower edges of the tailgate sides and corresponding position in the tailgate aperture, on mine these were badly worn, since replacing these recently I've found some reduction in the noise due less movement in the tailgate. i will however have to get the finger out now regarding re-bushing the carrier as the free-play may accelerate wear in my my new rubber tailgate bumper bits.
    Last edited by Morr; 2 May 2005, 23:47.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

cheers

I,m not going mad then .....where did you get new rubber tailgate bumper bits from?

halfords have some nice jbl self powered base boxes on offer... might be the answeR !!!!
      ANTZ

Comment

Originally posted by anthony whatford
        .....where did you get new rubber tailgate bumper bits from?........
        Main Dealer job, IIRC all 4 parts came to about €40.00 euro .
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
        X