need +2" spring reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need +2" spring reccomendations

I got a 2nd hand 2" lift kit (ES3000 shocks, uprated tortion bars and uprated springs) and got it fitted now and I am happy with the front end and generall feel/performance (much better than the wallowy standard stuff that was on it) but the rear springs still sag a bit - unladen it still sits lower at the back and when I have my motorbike rack on it sags considerably. So I want to get some new uprated +2" springs.

Does anyone have any reccomendations? - i.e. Ones from LA supertrux, ones from Roughtrax or specific branded springs and places to get them etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Simon
    No longer a Surf owner.

Originally posted by codlord
    I got a 2nd hand 2" lift kit (ES3000 shocks, uprated tortion bars and uprated springs) and got it fitted now and I am happy with the front end and generall feel/performance (much better than the wallowy standard stuff that was on it) but the rear springs still sag a bit - unladen it still sits lower at the back and when I have my motorbike rack on it sags considerably. So I want to get some new uprated +2" springs.

Does anyone have any reccomendations? - i.e. Ones from LA supertrux, ones from Roughtrax or specific branded springs and places to get them etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Simon
    I have a similar problem with suposedly +2" springs (which were more like +1 1/2" when new & now more like +1" after a bit of towing etc). Rather than get new 2"+ coils (which will relax again after a few years) I've got some 2" coil spacers (not yet fitted).

I'm getting a cost to have coil spacers manufactured here in the UK as shipping from the States was more than half the cost. Watch this space (no pun intended).....

Nevillef

Comment

Yeah I though about some coil spacers with my current springs (or perhaps with a new set of "heay duty" springs that are available). But again, would like reccomendations of these sorts of springs (from someone who has used them a bit + towing etc).

Neville - Can you give me details of where you got your spacers from and also keep me informed with any info on making them in the UK?
      No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Codlord,

three options...

1. Delboy and the 1" spring spacers... to permanently lift the rear 1" which will give you the right proportion. As for the spacers, couldn't you just space the coil guide away from the chassis rail with a 1" thick plate? remove the guide, fit the plate, mount the guide to the plate?

2. wind down the front torsion bars. to get the right proportion...

3. www.coil-rite.com firestone airbags... you want the 4113 kit (4112 is for a 4runner) which will fit 1 1/2" lifted springs... this is what I have done with my Explorer ProComp rear coils.

After discovering that I had broken one of my rear coils.... no idea how, or when... will swap the warranty replacement this weekend and plumb in the driver side bag... you can get you 1" - 2" lift 'on demand'... Made TonyN grin last week...!

PS. Thanks Tony and Linda.. great day, great coffee and great bacon butties...

andyL
        Last edited by AndyLala; 21 April 2005, 21:27.

Comment

Its not so much the proportion that I have a problem with, more the fact that it sags so much under load - the springs on my last surf didn't really sag much even with the bike on the back but I don't know what sort of springs they were.

Jotto mentioned your airbags - where did you get them from then? And do you know whats the difference between the 4112 and 4113 kits? Could not see the 4113 listed on their site. I guess if my springs were meant to be 2" lifted will these fit ok?
          No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

4113 kit uses the same diameter bags as the 4112 kit, just 1 " taller...

Should be fine for a 1.5" to 2" lift spring. Next size is the 4114, which is the tallest bag at 3" over standard for that diameter coil (ideal for 4" lift springs).

And www.truckspring.com
            I will find my contacts name...

I spoke with a chap called Jamie.

andyL
            Last edited by AndyLala; 21 April 2005, 23:10.

Comment

I run '95 Landcruiser 80 rear coils for 5 years now. They add a real 2 1/2-3" lift (hard to say exact cause my rear was sagging also) compared to stock. Even after 5 years of use. Only a few dineros at the local wrecker.

Comment

Why not try Explorer - www.explorerprocomp.co.uk - I've had a suspension set up from them for nearly 2 years now and it still seems to work well.
                Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Did the landcrusier springs fit ok??? Are theyt H/Duty then?? I might try some if they are, i put a 50kg tool box in mine and even with the 2" lift springs the back end went down!!!!
                  3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

lol
                    I have all my tools in the car usually, actually my snow chains are still in there! Probably have more weight in the car all the time than I care to realise.
                    Still the ballast is good for towing
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Thanks, might look into the landcruiser option.

I measured it at the weekend and with just my cargo box and tools in the back (so not fully loaded but a reasonable amount of weight) it currently sits 3" lower at the back compared to the front. I want to get that up at least 2".
                      No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Got the drivers side airbag in and plumbed this afternoon... What a great idea, why didn't I do it sooner.

Not carrying much weight, leave the bags at 5psi...

Carrying some weight, pump them up to 15psi...

want to carry everyone and their dog/tools/in'laws... pump them up to 35psi...

No more faffing around, get the 'toy' to sit straight, regardless of what is in the back... Fantastic idea, simple kit, easy to fit, easy to use. Great.
                        Oh, and no more worrying about sitting on the bump stops, 'cos they are in a box in the workshop!

Sorry, about going overboard, this little mod has worked beyond expectations...

andyL

Comment

Originally posted by Dog_Book
                          Did the landcrusier springs fit ok??? Are theyt H/Duty then?? I might try some if they are, i put a 50kg tool box in mine and even with the 2" lift springs the back end went down!!!!
                          It seems to be a fairly common mod for the 2nd gen 4Runner in the US, have a search on yotatech for their experiences with it
                          Maurice
                          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Anyone know where i can get any of these from??? '95 Landcruiser 80 rear springs, Thanks
                            3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Working...
                            X