sloppy springs ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sloppy springs ???

i hope some one can help me. i have a 93 2.4, it drives fine until i hook a caravan to it, then it turns into a whale ,wallowing all over the place ,it seems to sag quite a bit at the back, i thought of changing the rear springs for up rated ones but i dont know if its best to replace all four at the same time. greatfull for any advice . cheers col b
    why have a wife to take all your money off you when you can have a surf

Originally posted by col b
    i hope some one can help me. i have a 93 2.4, it drives fine until i hook a caravan to it, then it turns into a whale ,wallowing all over the place ,it seems to sag quite a bit at the back, i thought of changing the rear springs for up rated ones but i dont know if its best to replace all four at the same time. greatfull for any advice . cheers col b
    Replacing the two rear coils is standard proceedure for Surfers as they tend to sag with age. Milers or Roughtrax sell them for about £80 set. I'd also check the shock absorbers all round and maybe the anti roll bar bushes etc if it seems to sway a lot.

Nevillef

Comment

I changed the rear springs with 20% uprated from milners £40 the pair i also fitted pro comp ES9000 gas shocks all round made a real difference i pull a 26ft abbey twin axle van, Go ahead you wont regret it !
      [COLOR=Red]THE RIBBLE REBEL[/COLOR]

Comment

Iv'e changed my rear springs to the Milners 20% uprated ones for just those exact reasons - the difference is amazing - not been off road with them yet but on the road no more wallowing and supports a double horse trailer much better. Got them from Milners for £40+vat+p&p - best thing you can do to a Surf.
        Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by dave 30d
          I changed the rear springs with 20% uprated from milners £40 the pair i also fitted pro comp ES9000 gas shocks all round made a real difference i pull a 26ft abbey twin axle van, Go ahead you wont regret it !
          As DAVE has caravan wise HUGE improvement
          Attached Files
          Last edited by marky; 16 April 2005, 21:34.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

I changed mine for Milners too and the improvement was huge.
            Attached Files
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

i i thought of changing the rear springs for up rated ones but i dont know if its best to replace all four at the same time.
              theres only 2 springs on your surf, both at the back, the front uses torsion bars stretched from mid-surf to the front wheels, new uprated springs are the dawgs...

heres a question though, would genuine Toyota springs be regarded as 2" uprated ones because I'm sure they'd lift it back where it belongs or are the uprated ones regarded as lifting the surf back 2" to where it belongs and then another 2" up again. I reckon theres a swiz here !!!!!!

Comment

The standard Milner replacements are 20% stronger, not 2in taller. Those are different for people wanting to lift the Surf. The Milners 20% are actually slightly shorter than the Toyota originals but under compression are much superior and put the ride height back where it should be. Much better for towing and fairly straightforward to fit. Just watch out you don't stretch the flexible brake hose from the LSPV.
                Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                  Replacing the two rear coils is standard proceedure for Surfers as they tend to sag with age. Milers or Roughtrax sell them for about £80 set. I'd also check the shock absorbers all round and maybe the anti roll bar bushes etc if it seems to sway a lot.

Nevillef
                  thanks for the advice,i'm going to get new springs, got a long twisty drive to lincolnshire end of may
                  why have a wife to take all your money off you when you can have a surf

Comment

Working...
                  X