Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How urgent is this?

Hi All
    Just sorted out my bump stops and spotted a leak from? a rubber flexable Flange?

If you put the steering on full lock there is a bar that runs parralle to the ground out from the wheel that has a a rubber flexable Flange on each end. It appears to be a flexable joint that has grease in and are held on with metal zip ties. (sorry have no manual to call them the propa name)

The one near the further under the truck has sprayed grease out

A couple or so questions..

1, Is it vital to sort
    2, Would wrapping the rubber in gaffa tape sort it till I have time to replace it
    3, It appears to be a lot of work to get too and replace
    4, Where would you get a replacement/cost
    5, Where do I top the lost grease/oil up from

Thanks for any help
    Cheers
    Mark

Its a CV joint gaiter, its pretty important cos they cover the CV's and stop road grit getting in there and wearing out the CV which gets expensive.

They are do-able at home, with a few tools, but really grubby!!! You have the take the whole shaft out from the diff to the hub to strip it. Or pay someone to do it.

Milners, Roughtrax, etc, all sell CV boot kits, they arn't expensive. You can get universal gaiters but they don't inspire confidence.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony
      I will get the part.
      I may have one or two questions though...
      Cheers
      Mark

Comment

Do a search for CV boot, as I did mine quite recently and was asking loads of question and got really good answers.

Which side is the broken boot at, Drivers or passengers ?

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal
          Do a search for CV boot, as I did mine quite recently and was asking loads of question and got really good answers.

Passengers side

Now I know what its called I will search it.
          Cheers
          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell
            Passengers side

Now I know what its called I will search it.
            Cheers
            Mark
            Passengers side- bit of pig to get the drive shaft out. I followed the instructions in the Haynes 4Runner manual. Took me about 4 hours and lots of cussing, but it is do-able. Change both CV boots on the shaft at the same time. The other old one might split soon too and you'll have to go through the whole rigermarole (sp?) twice to replace it!

Nevillef

N

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
              Passengers side- bit of pig to get the drive shaft out. I followed the instructions in the Haynes 4Runner manual. Took me about 4 hours and lots of cussing, but it is do-able. Change both CV boots on the shaft at the same time. The other old one might split soon too and you'll have to go through the whole rigermarole (sp?) twice to replace it!

Nevillef

N
              Will do both from what been said.
              Thanks
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal

I did my passenger side ones and as previously siad was a pig to get off. Luckily we had it on a ramp so had loads of room to work with, but we still ended up taking most of the obstructions off to get the shaft out, all in, I think it took around the 4hr mark.

Comment

Working...
                X