overheating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just been on a 1000km trip down to cotswolds and oxford draging a twenty foot single axel caravan ( sorry to anyone who got stuck behind me ). a few questions for anyone how can help
    1.16 miles per gallon is this normal as i usually get 20 mpg
    2.every long hill sent my temp gauge nearly into the red, it recovered very quickly without having to stop. viscous and electric fans were all working, is it normal for the temp to rise so high on surf's, normally it stays on halfway, i wasn't thrashing it, kept it at about 2500 rpm.
    3. anymods for towing available (cheaply)
    the surf was a dream to use other than the temp gauge
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

If you're towing regularly, I'd get a supplimentary oil cooler fitted. Mine did the same initially but hasn't had any overheat problems since fitting the cooler. And 16-20mpg is pretty poor, even towing with a 2.4L. I can get 29mpg from mine on the M-Way if I keep to about 60-65mph and about 20-22 towing.

You might also have blocked injectors. Try getting some Redex through your injectors and see if that makes a difference.
    Mike G

Comment

thanks for your advice, suplimentry oil cooler !! i was thinking water cooling was the answer, i was thinking of additional cooling fans, or larger rad, now you got me thinking again, how do you go about getting and fitting oil coolers and are we talking about engine oil or auto box oil.also regarding mpg im wandering wether to fit freewheel hubs and remove all the aircon equipment as it don't work, i do use injector cleaner in her, any other advice would be great
      john

Comment

john, thats you and me in the same boat! my aircon rad is behind the sump guard and i reckon thats an ideal spot for an oil cooler, and i heard a rumour you can use the same rad(!) but i cant find anyone who has actually done it... if nothing else its a good spot to put an extra cooler once the air con is out. the cooler is to cool the transmission oil, which heats up fast lugging weight up hills with all the extra work its doing. as std there is a cooler built into the rad so it heats the water up as it cooks itself. the manual trans. rad doesnt have this and the water runs through the rad much better but you will need to fit another cooler for the transmission. now back to the experts for what to do next....
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
          If you're towing regularly, I'd get a supplimentary oil cooler fitted. Mine did the same initially but hasn't had any overheat problems since fitting the cooler. And 16-20mpg is pretty poor, even towing with a 2.4L. I can get 29mpg from mine on the M-Way if I keep to about 60-65mph and about 20-22 towing.
          You can get a supplementary oil cooler at the below URL

http://www.pacet.co.uk/oilCool.htm

Not sure where you can fit it though, but if you are thinking of dumping the air-con then thats a possibility - where the air-con rad currently is. Or you could keep the current set up, dump the air-con and have space to fit twin electric fans with a manual switch so you could start them before overheating starts ie. at the bottom of the hill.
          Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

we will have to keep each other up to date with any progres we make.i notice the aircon rad has 2 fans on it already, dispite the temp rising the a.t.warning light never came on i take it if that comes on the auto box is entering self destruct mode.
            keeping my fingers crossed for a cooler more economical futre
            john

Comment

looks like my aircon is history

Comment

I did a write-up on fitting my oil cooler last year. It's fairly straightforward to do. The company I bought from has now moved from London to Clevedon, Somerset but they still do mail order.

Link to write-up is here (post 23): http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ight=Speedflow
                Mike G

Comment

Not sure on using an air con rad as a cooler, I would have thought it would be to large and cool it to much???????????
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

according to hotrodders.com (ahem..) its a goer, but as koi said it might be too cool. the oil cooler in the rad also help warm the transmission from a cold start. could always blank off part of the cooler...
                    Last edited by Chillitt; 8 April 2005, 23:17.
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

So run it through the 'new' oil cooler first and then through the oil cooler in the rad... that will act as the temp control... oil should then be no more that engine temperature going back to the gearbox... been discussed here many times before...

will work the same whatever the external temperature is. (not aussie rules don't apply here, as it gets much colder here...)

Comment

Have just got back from holiday and fuel consumption towing (2.4 auto) with a bit of solo work was 18.6 mpg and solo 25.4 mpg. The consumption is seriously affected by the weight you are carrying/towing. My current caravan is the same length as a previous van but weighs about 450kg (almost 50%) more. It would be unreasonable to expect the same consumption as there is all that extra weight to move. You will also find that wind resistance plays havoc with consumption as you go faster. You will use a lot of fuel to raise the speed from 50 mph to 60 mph and far far more to go a few mph faster than that.

I had an ATF cooler fitted as a preventative measure and certainly notice that there is less heat in the cabin coming off the transmission tunnel. Mine fits in front of the radiator.

A driving technique I find useful is to disconnect overdrive until I reach 50 mph. The car will then trundle along and on the flat will gain speed up to 60 mph. If I lose speed to about 48mph I disconnect overdrive and allow her to build up again. Only on a serious gradient do I have to take any other action.

Keith

Comment

well guys thanks for all your advice and that i will keep you posted if i come across some super amazing cure .lol.
                          thanks
                          john

Comment

my new lodger has now moved in. he works for 'a large german company making auto boxes' im going to loose him on the problem. he's already muttering about not locking up properly... is this bad? i think i will ditch the air con (busted) just to let a bit more air through, and incase he brings a shiny new cooler home from work...
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

offer him cheap rent or w.h.y. to keep the wheels rollin.
                              cool or maybe NOT

Comment

Working...
                              X