Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen handbrake fail

Hi guys,

my 96 hilux has recently failed the mot for a faulty handbrake.

Before this the rear wheel bearings had gone and had a leaky rear diff so I've changed the bearings, changed the axle seals, changed the rear shoes and drums.

Took it for the mot and it's failed on the handbrake. So we've changed the cable (oem from Milners) and now we can't get it to adjust properly. It's almost as if the cable is too long.

I had it barely holding yesterday as I live on a hill but I had the handbrake adjusters binding on the drums so that would surely cause overheating issues.

Where the cable connects to the handbrake lever in the car there is a threaded bit but it's already tightened up to the maximum and it still sticks up a bit and wobbles.

So I'm just wondering if I've routed it wrong or if there's anything I could've missed when fitting it?

Also the surf has had a 2inch body lift previous but I would've thought that would make the cable tighter not looser.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's the only thing stopping it from getting on the road.

Just to update for anyone wondering, I took the new cable off and offered it up to the old cable and we found that the new cable was different in a few ways.

The cable that attatches from cake to cake was an extra 40mm longer than the original cable and the collar that meets the cabin where it goes into the car was 30mm further away.

Overall the cable was 1mm longer but the other measurements were what was keeping the handbrake from being applied.

I have spoken to Milner off road and sent pictures of the cables side by side. I did get a reply saying they would check stock and check thier measurements regarding the cable.

Comment

Working...
    X