Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing rear brake cylinders

Hi, just after a bit of advice please.
    My 96 surf failed MOT on leaking rear brake cylinder. I’ve ordered a pair of cylinders, shoes and the tensioner kit thing with all the brass bits and springs and brake fluid from rough tracks.
    My question is: do you think it’s a job that can be done with limited mechanical experience, I do the servicing on the surf but never tried a repair of this size.
    I’ve got a Halfords tool kit, jack and stands.
    What are the main things to look out for that could go wrong or would I be best taking it to a garage to get the work done?
    Toyota wanted £650 to do the work, the thing is I don’t want to take it to just any dodgy back street garage. I’m in Rotherham, are there any garages local to me that you guys would recommend or would your advice be to grow a pair and do it myself, just a bit cautious in case I sheared any bolts off or something as it wants to be right with taking family on holiday in it.
    Any advice would be really appreciated
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi n welcome you sound like a reasonably commonsense sort of person so don't see a problem provided ya air on the side of caution where brakes are concerned... Jack up n remove both sides n DO one side at a time !! make sure ya Clamp the rubber brake hose on either side (I normally use Mole grips with cardboard as protection...
    Good Luck

18+ Years of Surfs n 10 years later me KZN 130 Spotless it wasn't but Faultless to a "T" it was but expired in March 2018....My other replacement Truck is now also faultless to a "T" !!
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor96surfssrx View Post
      Hi, just after a bit of advice please.
      My 96 surf failed MOT on leaking rear brake cylinder. I’ve ordered a pair of cylinders, shoes and the tensioner kit thing with all the brass bits and springs and brake fluid from rough tracks.
      My question is: do you think it’s a job that can be done with limited mechanical experience, I do the servicing on the surf but never tried a repair of this size.
      I’ve got a Halfords tool kit, jack and stands.
      What are the main things to look out for that could go wrong or would I be best taking it to a garage to get the work done?
      Toyota wanted £650 to do the work, the thing is I don’t want to take it to just any dodgy back street garage. I’m in Rotherham, are there any garages local to me that you guys would recommend or would your advice be to grow a pair and do it myself, just a bit cautious in case I sheared any bolts off or something as it wants to be right with taking family on holiday in it.
      Any advice would be really appreciated
      Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Feasible, yes. But if you aren't confident about working on brakes, it would be prudent to have someone with mechanical experience watching over your shoulder. There are better parts of the car to cut your teeth on than the braking system to be honest.

Paul.

Comment

Working...
      X