Changing to 4WD on the move...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing to 4WD on the move...

Well I confirmed it today, and it's probably not news to you guys, but...

Beware when going into 4WD (using the electronic button on a the 3rd gen) if you're on the move and especially if you're going round a corner.

The little amber centre diff lock light flashes....because it's locks the diff while it's

The button only engages the front diff. The centre diff is engaged by the lever, HL4. You are meant to press the button on the go with no problems. Cheers

Comment

Hmm that was my understanding originally, but that doesn't explain why I've had a bind-up round a tight bend at low speed when changing between on the fly, and had the rear kicked out when changing at higher speed mid-corner.

Comment

Oh, ok..maybe the centre diff engages for a moment as you press the button? Maybe better engage 4x4 on the straight only...
        Cheers

​​​​

Comment

Confirmed this action at the weekend, tried engaging 4WD part way down a spiraling multi-story ramp and couldn't get off the ramp - totally bound up and the only way I could release it was to aim at kerb with one front tyre and let the front-rear bind up chirp out the stored energy. Baffling.

Comment

I engaged mine this week at about 25mph on a slight curve with no problem, it was in preparation for a little race in the damp with a Jeep Cherokee that was getting a bit cocky......
            The Surf won of course!

Comment

Working...
            X