Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Toyota Steering Idlers ave Grease nipples

Hi guys,
    Time for a new idler arm, methinks. Just wondering if Toyota's own steering arm idler doodad has a grease nipple fitted for lubrication, now?

Rather not fit Milner one, as there have been a few comments regarding quality - not going to trust a 2600Kg vehicle (not to mention a dork driver) on this part. Besides its a warranty job.

If its not nippled, has anyone successfully installed one? where did you fit it, for max effect?

Ta

Originally posted by ChasesDragons
    Rather not fit Milner one, as there have been a few comments regarding quality
    What comments are these? I just had one fitted after an MOT failure
    No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
      What comments are these? I just had one fitted after an MOT failure
      I've heard no complaints about Milners steering idler's either (other parts yes- air filters (poor fittment), bearings (poor quality) and possibly other items.

I've fitted a Milners steering idler 3 months ago and re-inspected it at the weekend- seems okay so far. As far as know the original Toyota has no nipple- so no easy way of greasing it (hence eventual wear problems). The Milners has a nipple so can be greased whenever. When I stripped down the old Toyota one the only lubricant in there was water, mud & grit (plus the remains of the plastic bushes). A so the Milner one ought to be better.

Personaly I wouldn't be tempted to drill & tap into a steel casting if it's a saftey critical part.

Nevillef

Comment

Regarding the quality comments: These were not specifically about the Steering idlers, but other milner supplied parts. So I guess your idler is not SET to fail just because you bought it from them.

But, I am just not too keen on fitting parts from a company which has a reports about bits breaking. I will only go Milner if I had no choice of getting a lubricable steering idler elsewhere.

I will look into installing a grease nipple in a steering idler, it may just be possible. I have had nipples fitted in bike headstocks etc to help me relube the bearings in there, it may be possible in this case too.

Comment

I bought one from them eight months ago, a close inspection found that the bottom part had worn excessively. They replaced it without problem.
          Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Im on my 3rd one in a year as the balljoints have failed . Yes the new ones have grease nipples.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Hi guys,
              Time for a new idler arm, methinks. Just wondering if Toyota's own steering arm idler doodad has a grease nipple fitted for lubrication, now?

Rather not fit Milner one, as there have been a few comments regarding quality - not going to trust a 2600Kg vehicle (not to mention a dork driver) on this part. Besides its a warranty job.

If its not nippled, has anyone successfully installed one? where did you fit it, for max effect?

Ta
              A Milner steering idler was fitted to my Surf in August last year. Been off-road several times as well as some heavy towing and 10,000ks later all still fine. Useful to be able to grease it especially after being off-road.
              Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                Im on my 3rd one in a year as the balljoints have failed . Yes the new ones have grease nipples.
                Do you mean the Toyota OEM ones can be bought with Grease NIpple, now? The Toyota Parts kiddy was not able to help and in fact INSISTED that the entire thing was a sealed unit where the bushes cannot be bought seperately. He was quite sure that there was grease nipple either.

I just got the bill for fixing my little surf's fuelling problem. 960 somink pounds - yeeech! At least, the Warranty kiddies are paying 5x% of it.

My lil head is reelling. The soreness in my bottom hints that I have been overcharged....

Comment

TOYOTA idler arms are around £150 Blueprint parts are as dear.
                  mine are MILNERS
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

I bought a Toyota Idler arm about a year and half ago and the balljoints gone already. Gonna get a Milner one!
                    Derek :
                    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

The Toyota Parts kiddy was not able to help and in fact INSISTED that the entire thing was a sealed unit where the bushes cannot be bought seperately. He was quite sure that there was grease nipple either.
                      He wants tapping on the head with the idler arm, Toyota sell the bushes to repair it, we got some last week!

You cannot repair it if the balljoint has gone, or the shaft is to rusty.

Milner ones have a grease nipple, not seen a Toyota one with one, dunno aboutRoughtrax, not got one from them yet, but will be soon!
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Got my Milner idler arm today and it has a nipple. Was pleasantly surprised also, as they specify on the website that there is a different one for 89 to 91 models which cost twice the price of the later 2nd gen. Turns out, that that is a mistake and theres only one. So i'm up about €70. Weehee!
                        Derek :
                        1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                        [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Anyone tried fitting one these idler arms with nipple along with a brace? As ive just got one from America and think that the idler gusset would catch on any nipple on the arm???
                          3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
                            Got my Milner idler arm today and it has a nipple. Was pleasantly surprised also, as they specify on the website that there is a different one for 89 to 91 models which cost twice the price of the later 2nd gen. Turns out, that that is a mistake and theres only one. So i'm up about €70. Weehee!
                            True!!
                            Up to Aug/91 and post Aug/91 are two different shaft sizes
                            I found out the fun way.....someone had replaced the idler on mine (1990) with a later one.
                            Looks exactly the same except bushes are 2mm difference in dia.
                            Luckily I had both sets so there was no mucking about.
                            Simon.O.
                            '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                            X