Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to mount a winch??

How's it done??

I've got a factory 'A' bar on mine. Would this be strong enough to winch from, ar would it have to bolt directly to the chassis??

I'm just wondering at the moment, whether to get a winch or not....

all help gratefully recieved!!!

Cheers
    It just does, OK?

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
    How's it done??

I've got a factory 'A' bar on mine. Would this be strong enough to winch from, ar would it have to bolt directly to the chassis??

I'm just wondering at the moment, whether to get a winch or not....

all help gratefully recieved!!!

Cheers

Hi, If you type 'winch' in the search box, go to page 2. scroll to the bottom, "winch is fitted" you should find some answers there

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Hi, If you type 'winch' in the search box, go to page 2. scroll to the bottom, "winch is fitted" you should find some answers there

and look in the shop we got some for sale. look up ARB bumpers etc, needs to be bolted to the chassis. Well a winch bumper would, then winch bolted to the bumper or you can get winch mounting plates that bolt to the chassis
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

You have to think that a winch suitable to recover a Surf can generate 4 tonnes of pull and it is not unknown to nearly stall them if you are really stuck. Threfore the more solid the better and a factory A bar doesn't cut it.
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Normal way to go is to install a winch bumper, most people know of ARB Bumpers. They are designed to fit to the chassis and tospread the pulling load of the winch which is actually fitted to the ARB bumper.

look at www.arb.com.au for possible information on ARB products or
          http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-s..._systems.shtml for the various WARN kits [Combo Kit has details for 4-Runner]
          Last edited by Gizmo; 22 March 2005, 23:35.
          Gaz

Comment

thanks for that, guys...

Nigel, The winches you sell in the shop, I notice they come with or without a mounting plate. Am I to assume that the mounting plate will enable me to mount the winch easily and directly to my chassis?? I sthere much cutting et. to be done to the bumper??

Maybe we need a project vehicle to add a winch to (at a cheaper cost, of course!!), taking pics as we go? Can I suggest that mine would be the ideal vehicle for that!!!!!?????

It just does, OK?

Comment

theres a shop??

:dunno:

Comment

note to the management.. as per all the best visitor attractions please arrange site so that only exit is through the gift shop....and the f.a.q.s..
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Oh yeah, there's a shop!!

Point yer browser at http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/ and then click on the shop link.

Nigel, do I get a discount for advertising?!?!?
                  It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                    note to the management.. as per all the best visitor attractions please arrange site so that only exit is through the gift shop....and the f.a.q.s..

theres an f.a.q. ????

Comment

they do not sell plastic dinosaurs in the gift shop...
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                        they do not sell plastic dinosaurs in the gift shop...

We can if you want them
                        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

how much?
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                            thanks for that, guys...

Nigel, The winches you sell in the shop, I notice they come with or without a mounting plate. Am I to assume that the mounting plate will enable me to mount the winch easily and directly to my chassis?? I sthere much cutting et. to be done to the bumper??

Not fitted one to a Surf but got one fitted to my pick up.
                            Took off bumper, used the front 4 mounting bolts to locate the mounting plate, needed longer bolts here as well. Then bolted the mounting plate and bumper back on, there was a small amount of cutting to be done. I cut out the valance and small amount of bumper where the number plate fixes, see pic.
                            I had a couple of plates welded to the mounting plate then to the chassis for extra strength. I wasn't worrried about having to take it off, so you may get away with less cutting as I needed a bit more clearence when mounting the winch afterwards and again being purely for off road wasn't worried about cutting to much away.
                            Probably the best way to mount the winch is in a winch bumper.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Koi; 24 March 2005, 09:42.
                            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

Working...
                            X