Fuel Pump Gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Gasket?

seeming you were all so helpfull with my timing belt light problem i thought you might be be able to advise me on this ,i did a search to see if i could find out about a fuel leak i have on my surf,the search turned out that it is probabley the cold start lever seal which had gone hard and the top gasket of the pump.my question is where can i get the gasket and cold start lever seal to fix it?would i have to buy it from toyota or is there a 4x4 place that would be able to get hold of the correct part?

Originally posted by missy
    seeming you were all so helpfull with my timing belt light problem i thought you might be be able to advise me on this ,i did a search to see if i could find out about a fuel leak i have on my surf,the search turned out that it is probabley the cold start lever seal which had gone hard and the top gasket of the pump.my question is where can i get the gasket and cold start lever seal to fix it?would i have to buy it from toyota or is there a 4x4 place that would be able to get hold of the correct part?
    Milners do the pump seal kit for a great £7:80 plus vat. Better than a £1000 pump. There are loads of extra o rings in there that I never found a home for. They might be the ones for the cold start lever (whatever that is)

Comment

Originally posted by crashyb
      Milners do the pump seal kit for a great £7:80 plus vat. Better than a £1000 pump. There are loads of extra o rings in there that I never found a home for. They might be the ones for the cold start lever (whatever that is)
      Forgot to say....

It's tight, but you can change the top seal without removing the pump but you will need to remove the top of the airfilter and the airtube that goes to the plastic cover on top of the engine. Also undo the fuel pipe going into the pump which is held by a long bolt through a manifold (can't remember size but is about 13mm). You will need to unplug one of the tubes going to this manifold to be able to move it out the way to do next bit of job. The pump cover has a sensor sticking through it that needs a 34mm socket to undo it. You have to do this as the sensor is hard wired into the pump. The top of the pump can then be undone (4-off 5mm allan screws) and removed. Seal can then be replaced.

Word of warning. The kit I got from Milners didn't have a replacement o ring for the sensor that you remove. I got a close fit in a bag of assorted o rings from Halfords (£1:50 ish). Tried rebuilding several times with with old o ring but couldn't cure leak. Suspect this was the culprit all along.

Rebuild in reverse and pressurise by pumping on top of fuel filter. Would leave air filter off until you are happy the leak is cured. It took me three goes.

Good pictures of pump and sensor etc on Australian site.http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/fuelpump.htm

Hope this helps
      Last edited by crashyb; 16 March 2005, 20:55.

Comment

awww thank you so much you have been a great help do milners have a contact number or website?youve been such a star thanks again
        Originally posted by crashyb
        Forgot to say....

It's tight, but you can change the top seal without removing the pump but you will need to remove the top of the airfilter and the airtube that goes to the plastic cover on top of the engine. Also undo the fuel pipe going into the pump which is held by a long bolt through a manifold (can't remember size but is about 13mm). You will need to unplug one of the tubes going to this manifold to be able to move it out the way to do next bit of job. The pump cover has a sensor sticking through it that needs a 34mm socket to undo it. You have to do this as the sensor is hard wired into the pump. The top of the pump can then be undone (4-off 5mm allan screws) and removed. Seal can then be replaced.

Word of warning. The kit I got from Milners didn't have a replacement o ring for the sensor that you remove. I got a close fit in a bag of assorted o rings from Halfords (£1:50 ish). Tried rebuilding several times with with old o ring but couldn't cure leak. Suspect this was the culprit all along.

Rebuild in reverse and pressurise by pumping on top of fuel filter. Would leave air filter off until you are happy the leak is cured. It took me three goes.

Good pictures of pump and sensor etc on Australian site.http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/fuelpump.htm

Hope this helps

Comment

thanks crashyb just found the website great stuff cheers
          Originally posted by missy
          awww thank you so much you have been a great help do milners have a contact number or website?youve been such a star thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X