Rough Ride..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Ride..

Have just spent a bucketful of my hard earned cash lifting my suspension by 4" & i am now on 33x12.5 tyres. It now talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Drives in a straight line, no vibration, steering geometry ok (thanks for the info on an earlier thread). However the ride is really cr*p. Like driving my old LR with seized suspension & 100psi in the tyres, & i'm sure a couple of my fillings have fallen out over the last few days........
    New dampers are procomp 3ooo's. New torsion bars some time ago from Roughtrax, obviously new rear springs for this lift. I can feel every minor bump in the road & I reckon its the dampers. Anyone else had this problem before I chuck more money at it?
    Cheers.....

Originally posted by mikey
    Have just spent a bucketful of my hard earned cash lifting my suspension by 4" & i am now on 33x12.5 tyres. It now talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Drives in a straight line, no vibration, steering geometry ok (thanks for the info on an earlier thread). However the ride is really cr*p. Like driving my old LR with seized suspension & 100psi in the tyres, & i'm sure a couple of my fillings have fallen out over the last few days........
    New dampers are procomp 3ooo's. New torsion bars some time ago from Roughtrax, obviously new rear springs for this lift. I can feel every minor bump in the road & I reckon its the dampers. Anyone else had this problem before I chuck more money at it?
    Cheers.....
    Don't know much about Procomp dampers but I used to do a bit of rallying years ago. Found through experience that if the dampers are too severe you might as well not have suspension at all. From what you say it sounds like the dampers are too stiff to allow the springs to compress/rebound.
    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Assuming you've fitted uprated torsion bars they'll make for a harsher ride too. I'm afraid if you've fitted a lot of robust 'offroad' rated components you'll get an offroad kind of ride! You can't have your cake and eat it as they say. If you want your car to slop around like a jelly get a Discovery or Rangerover!

The only thing I can suggest is to get some adjustable shocks, like the Pro Comp ES9000 serries. These have a number of settings to adjust damping level for on/offroad use.

Nevillef

Comment

After i got my 2" lift fitted, i found the ride a lot stiffer and as you say you can feel every bump in the road.

I still find the ride hard, but you get used to it.

cheers scotty

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work

The only thing I can suggest is to get some adjustable shocks, like the Pro Comp ES9000 serries. These have a number of settings to adjust damping level for on/offroad use.

Nevillef
          Procomp ES9000's arent adjustable. Rancho shocks are. When i did my lift and put muds on , i had Procomp 3000's in the front and 9000's in the rear. Ride was very harsh. Now i have Rancho 5000's in the front and rdie is a bit better. Still have procomp in the rear. Your tyres are gonna make things worse too. Basically if you wanta look big your ride will suffer and theres not a hell of a lot you can do about it.
          Cheers
          Del
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Thanks guys for the comments...had a long chat with the people from Explorer & they pretty much confirmed what you have said. I was obviously asking too much & no doubt the fun i will have off road will make up for it....cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey
              Thanks guys for the comments...had a long chat with the people from Explorer & they pretty much confirmed what you have said. I was obviously asking too much & no doubt the fun i will have off road will make up for it....cheers.
              hehe, you can't have everything, every inch of lift is a trade off for comfort/handling, its worse with leaf springs, after 8" or so of lift springs, the only flex you get is in the tyre walls.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

What pressure you got in the tyres.I ran 40psi in mine before new suspension and now have dropped to 36psi and find that it helps a little.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
                  Procomp ES9000's arent adjustablel
                  Correct Pro Comp ES9000 only feature a "10 stage velocity sensitive valve".

Pro Comp MX6 are the adjustable ones.

http://www.explorerprocomp.com/shocks_mx6.php

Probably a lot more than £33 each though?

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                    What pressure you got in the tyres.I ran 40psi in mine before new suspension and now have dropped to 36psi and find that it helps a little.

Neville
                    Crikey
                    40 psi. Must be like riding on stone wheels. Even 36 is huge. I have my 33's at 30 psi and they are still very hard.

Edit: Cant believe i said 'Crikey'. Jimminy Jillikers, i'm turning into Ned Flanders.
                    Derek :
                    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
                      Crikey
                      40 psi. Must be like riding on stone wheels. Even 36 is huge. I have my 33's at 30 psi and they are still very hard.

Edit: Cant believe i said 'Crikey'. Jimminy Jillikers, i'm turning into Ned Flanders.

Mine are runnign at 24. maybe i should add some air.

Comment

I dropped mine to 27PSI for the snow and forgot to upgrade. I .noticed that all four tyres have started to wear more on the shoulders.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                        X