Buying advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying advice

I'm a Yank living in East Africa. I am trying to buy a 93-94 Surf through the Japanese auction, and I need a little information and buying advice.
    1. Which engine is best 2L 2LT 2LTE or 3L I've heard I should avoid the 2LTE.
    2. What kind of diesel mileage do they get. With these soaring fuel prices I need to save money.
    3. I've notice that there are 2 different body types of KZN130 and LN130. Is one better than the other?
    4. Some are "wide body" are they all?
    5. Are there models I should avoid or should definitely bid on?

I really like the surf, and I need something durable and dependable for East Africa

Thanks for the help,

Ruaha

Hi, I have a 1995 3.0d ssr-x auto, fuel cons is around 26-28mpg i have beefed up the suspension and fitted gas shocks it is a wide body model so i have fitted 8x15 alloys which makes it look well mine has done about 90000 miles and when it is clean it looks like it has just come out the showroom inc under the bonnet under the car is as dry as a bone. Iam quite impressed with all this as it is 10years old!
    [COLOR=Red]THE RIBBLE REBEL[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ruaha
      I'm a Yank living in East Africa. I am trying to buy a 93-94 Surf through the Japanese auction, and I need a little information and buying advice.
      1. Which engine is best 2L 2LT 2LTE or 3L I've heard I should avoid the 2LTE.
      If your asking for the best engine, I suggest the 3 litre.
      2. What kind of diesel mileage do they get. With these soaring fuel prices I need to save money.The 3 litre should get around 12 litres per 100 klms, for normal driving conditions, and better on highway trips.
      3. I've notice that there are 2 different body types of KZN130 and LN130. Is one better than the other?
      LN130 is the early version from 1988-1992. They are came out with the 2L, 2LT and 2LTE. The KZN130 came out in 1993 and had a choice of a 2.4 and 3 litre engine in 1993. From 1994-1996 the KZN130 only came with the 3 litre engine.
      4. Some are "wide body" are they all?
      The wide body only refers to the ones sold with factory flares. 1992 onwards.
      5. Are there models I should avoid or should definitely bid on?
      You could avoid the 2.4 model, and look for a good 3 litre version. Be prepared to pay more though.

I really like the surf, and I need something durable and dependable for East Africa
      Your choice of a Surf is a good one. There are many surfs in South Africa

Thanks for the help,

Ruaha
      Hope that helps
      cheers
      Les
      Last edited by MTpockets; 28 February 2005, 05:00.
      [COLOR=YellowGreen]92 SSR-X AUTO/2.4L T/D EFI
      31/105R15 TOYO OPAT Tyres/Staun deflators
      CSA Custom Alloys
      Bullbar/spotties
      Uniden UH012 UHF/Pioneer CD[/COLOR]

Comment

One thing on the engine type. The 3L is actually a 2.8 litre normally aspirated, the 3 Litre is a 1KZT or 1KZTE engine (generally the 1KZTE). THis is a better engine however I have heard that the cooling for Africa is a bit marginal. The 3L engine is pretty bomb proof however if you are going to any great altitude then you will find it struggles because of lack of air.

2L is non Turbo
        2LT and 2LTE are pretty much the same in terms of reliability with only the Cylinder head a questionable area - some but not all have head cracking problems.

Also the KZN130 and LN130 are the same body style, 2nd Generation Surf. LN130 refers to it having either 2LT or 2LTE engine (from late 1990/1991). KZN 130 has the 3 Litre 1KZTE engine.

Cheers
        Last edited by lucky; 28 February 2005, 08:29.

Comment

Thanks guys you have been a big help! I think I'm going for the 3L. I'm afraid of those cracked heads on the 2.4.

Ruaha

Comment

Working...
          X