turbo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo ?

i sent my turbo off to be recond should have it back in the next couple of days hopefully was just wondering wether i need to follow any rules to puttin back or simply just put it back unfortuntely wasnt able to get a manual amazon have none left so any ideas would be gratefully received thanks
    Colin

Make sure you pour some oil into the bearing before you connect it up, otherwise it would be running for a few seconds before oil gets to it. Not good. Let us know how much it cost. I was quoted €450 whihc is approximately £5.
    Cheers
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

turbo install

Ive changed mine. Turbo technics in the UK supplied exchange for around £320 inc couriers.

It came with instructions & gaskets & new studs/nuts. 1. You need to understand why your last turbo went. If its just worn out no real probs. If it blew out and you dont rectify the problem you may blow out the new one. 2. Biggest things to make sure you do are clean the oil lines - or make sure that there are NO restrictions on supply or return lines. Pay a bit of attention to the return as it could be sludged up. Put some oil inside the turbo for good measure - but it wall soon fall out!Once you have installed it and connected all the pipes pull the wire off the fuel pump and crank over the engine for a while (total 20 /30 secs in intervals - no start). This will fill the turbo with oil.

Once started be careful for first few minutes then if no leaks your off!

You will probably have instructions supplied. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
        Make sure you pour some oil into the bearing before you connect it up, otherwise it would be running for a few seconds before oil gets to it. Not good. Let us know how much it cost. I was quoted €450 whihc is approximately £5.
        Cheers
        Strewth Delboy, the Euro isn't doing very well

Cheers

Comment

results

got the results yesterday seems everything was knackerd except the actuator so need a replacement unit £351 and some pennies which icedently seems to be the norm for turbo technics well at least from what threads ive read on here and heard from other people anyway hes adviced me to do an oil change and flush the engine he said something about joining the return and feed start the engine with the flush in for a couple of mins i didnt quite understand that so any help from u guys in that department would be grateful the other thing is do halfords do the oil and air filters ? if not is it just milners in the mids thanks again guys
          and by the way thanks to those who repied all ready
          Colin
          Last edited by flashinapan; 5 November 2003, 09:44.

Comment

Originally posted by flashinapan
            got the results yesterday seems everything was knackerd except the actuator so need a replacement unit £351 and some pennies which icedently seems to be the norm for turbo technics well at least from what threads ive read on here and heard from other people anyway hes adviced me to do an oil change and flush the engine he said something about joining the return and feed start the engine with the flush in for a couple of mins i didnt quite understand that so any help from u guys in that department would be grateful the other thing is do halfords do the oil and air filters ? if not is it just milners in the mids thanks again guys
            and by the way thanks to those who repied all ready
            Colin
            if its the 2.4 then the hilux air & oil filter are the same and you should be able to get them from a good motorist shop.
            Or milners do the complete filter kit oil, air & fuel for £12ish if I remember correctly.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Madmart
              It came with instructions & gaskets & new studs/nuts. .
              Just out of interest what do your instructions say about the coolant supply and return pipes to your turbo. Why I ask is for some unknown reason a previous owner has disconnected these from my turbo and stuck a blanking plate over the hole, then he's blanked off the water pipe from the thermostat housing which takes coolant from that housing to the turbo.
              Delboy spotted this when he saw the blank on the pipe and comparing it to his surf we saw whats happened.

Comment

Originally posted by flashinapan
                got the results yesterday seems everything was knackerd except the actuator so need a replacement unit £351 and some pennies which icedently seems to be the norm for turbo technics well at least from what threads ive read on here and heard from other people anyway hes adviced me to do an oil change and flush the engine he said something about joining the return and feed start the engine with the flush in for a couple of mins i didnt quite understand that so any help from u guys in that department
                Colin
                He means that you link the oil in pipe and oil out pipe together with another piece of tube r something held in place with jubilee clips maybe. Do this with the turbo still of the engine. I think they're suggesting it will clear any blockages in the send and return pipes.
                Derek :
                1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

havent had the turbo back yet so will wait and see what the instructions if any say the thing about the oil was said on the phone but will let u know when it comes back thanks
                  colin

Comment

Turbo help

Mate, just to let you know there is a basic article on the Hilux surf tech site (http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/) which you can see here:
                    http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...oveinstall.htm

I did this to my unit 3 months ago, had no problems since, just check the oil lines are tight (pain to get to) and water lines are well done to.
                    Take it for a drive, then check for oil around the uni underneath it, if there is, tighten.
                    let us know how you go.
                    cheers
                    Dan.

33" M/T
                    lots more....
                    www.hiluxsurf.net

Comment

well got it back on friday put it all back together saturday. there was nothing in the instructions regaurding the water supply so put it back the way it was. the only prob ive got is the manifold intake i think its blowing a bit because on the instructions it emphasised not to use exhuast sealant. so i think will have to take it off and replace gasket or use sealant regaurdless. (anyone know where i might get a gasket ?)
                      incedently managed to spill quite a bit of oil down the side of the engine so gonna get it steam cleaned today. just want to thank you guys for all your input and will let you know about the improvements hopefully soon thanks
                      Colin

Comment

Working...
                      X