Hilux Starting Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux Starting Problem

I am not sure if you can help me out or not but I will give it a shot.
    I live in Canada - I have a 1989 Toyota hilux 3L diesel, I am trying to solve some electrical troubles,

For the past week - on cold mornings my truck grumbles and shakes when I start my truck and it often takes a few seconds, I have tested the glow plugs for continuity and they seem fine, another thing that happens is a pulsing noise occurs for a few minutes after starting - the sound comes from the electronic relay that is located in the back left side of the engine compartment, this noise will stop if I turn the fan on in the cab....I am not sure what to think of the situation and there are very few mechanics that are familiar with the toyota diesel becuase there aren't many of these around (Japanese import).

If you can shed some light on the subject that would be great. renechap@hotmail.com

Are you sure the noise stops if you turn on the fan or can you just not hear it. It could be a problem either with the 80 Amp glowplug fuse or a problem with the Glow Plug Timer. Certainly sounds like the timer relay may be cutting in an out. Just because the glow plugs have continuity, doesn't mean they are actually working if no current is being sent to them by the relay.

Hope this helps. You certainly need good cold weather starting in the wilds of the north out there in Canada.

Cheers

Comment

Also when checking for continuity did you remove the negative & buzz bar from the plugs or you will get a false reading.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

koi reply

yes I took the bar off and placed the + on the top of the glow plug and the - on the metal where the glow plug bolts in, the - wasn't touching the glow plug and all seemed to be okay,
        I started it this morning and it grumbled for about 5 minutes, normally it would start without trouble.
        I also checked that there was power coming from the relay by putting voltmeter on the wire that attaches to the busbar, there was power to it so I cant figure out what it is doing. Perhaps I need to just start replacing plugs.

Ren

Comment

Originally posted by rene
          yes I took the bar off and placed the + on the top of the glow plug and the - on the metal where the glow plug bolts in, the - wasn't touching the glow plug and all seemed to be okay,
          I started it this morning and it grumbled for about 5 minutes, normally it would start without trouble.
          I also checked that there was power coming from the relay by putting voltmeter on the wire that attaches to the busbar, there was power to it so I cant figure out what it is doing. Perhaps I need to just start replacing plugs.

Ren
          I would still say its a bad plug, I can't find it but from memory just testing for continuity isn't a sure way to tell the plug is duff unless its completely duff. If its just breaking down I think you need a draw amp meter, high reading is good plug low reading is bad plug.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Also how about it might be idling too low and when you switch on the fan, the extra power drain causes the injun to work harder and the idle increases? You hear the engine on cars and trucks idle up for a few mins when a fan or compressor comes on.

Comment

-

I'll have to take it to a buddy and check the glow plugs properly or just toss them, I don't know...do you guys know if you can take the plugs out and test them fully or not? I figure it is better to be able to test them that way than to put in $20 a piece for 3 that work and 1 that doesn't

Comment

hmmm our plugs here are about 4 quid each
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Weird, all is normal today when I started both times when the truck was cold, no probs, I am fearing this may be an electrical problem because the electrical relay that was pulsing on cold starts has stopped and the glow plug and starter problem seems to have reolved.
                  Who knows. That is a great price for glow plugs, I cannot even get the right plugs frim canada, I will be ordering them from the UK or Australia. Anyway, thanks for the feedback for now and we shall see what happens.
                  Chow

Comment

Working...
                  X