X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackstands and rear end

Gentlefolk,

No idea where to start with this one.
    I need to get a set of Jackstands that I can hold up the rear of my 'toy'.
    High enough to drop the rear axle out, for things like upgrading the springs, shocks, etc...

Reluctant to do it again with shorter jackstands in front of the axle...
    Like to hold on the frame behind the axle instead...

Tallest I have found so far is 0.765m... not quite tall enough...

Obviously, I also don't want to spend a fortune... I just don't have it.

Anyone have any ideas...?

AndyL

Hi Andy,

I got mine in Lidl for €8/pair! For that price I had to give them a try...

I've had my back end up on 2 stands positioned where the lower rear control rods join the chassis with no issues. I don't know the exact measurements, but at their highest they're about 12" - 14" high.

Mark

PS: Draper's 2003/2004 catalog lists a few different sizes of jackstands, as does Sealey's 2004 catalog.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by silvtr1000; 15 February 2005, 15:42.
    :

Comment

Mark,

thanks for that.
      That is how I did it before... I just remember it being rather windy, and the stands kept creaking... and we kept flying out from underneath... just wanted to be a little safer when I change all my rear end bushes, and put in my airbag kit.

AndyL

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
        Mark,

thanks for that.
        That is how I did it before... I just remember it being rather windy, and the stands kept creaking... and we kept flying out from underneath... just wanted to be a little safer when I change all my rear end bushes, and put in my airbag kit.

AndyL
        Never rely on just the jack stands alone if your'e under there. The car could fall off for any number of reasons (I always fear the paving slabs cracking!). I tend throw the removed tyre(s) underneath the car and also some large logs about a foot across and feet hight. Better that it lands on these than your head......

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
          Never rely on just the jack stands alone if your'e under there. The car could fall off for any number of reasons (I always fear the paving slabs cracking!). I tend throw the removed tyre(s) underneath the car and also some large logs about a foot across and feet hight. Better that it lands on these than your head......

Nevillef
          Get some proper jackstands and get some nice plywood square a little bigger than the stand footprint. I'm happy to lay under any truck with mine.

'piece of mind is part of the deal'

A good selection is essential.....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I'll come over to your to do the airbags and poly bushes then...?

Or does someone fancy some welding to make some up large enough to drop the rear axle out...?

andyL

Comment

I'll come over to your to do the airbags and poly bushes then...?

Or does someone fancy some welding to make some up large enough to drop the rear axle out...?

andyL
              Sure - Tony can make them for a small donation of folding pieces of paper to cover costs.....

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                Get some proper jackstands and get some nice plywood square a little bigger than the stand footprint. I'm happy to lay under any truck with mine.

'piece of mind is part of the deal'

A good selection is essential.....

I see you use that Blue Circle body filler, sets ok but a bit rough to sand down.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                  I see you use that Blue Circle body filler, sets ok but a bit rough to sand down.
                  hehe!

Comment

Nice to see that TonyN's marketing engine is working well....

Comment

hehe, she's great!

I don't have unlimited supplies of metal anymore due to moving jobs So it has to be bought.

Comment

fair price for materials, plus a reasonable margin... got to be worth your while...

can't say fairer than that...

I am sure there are plenty of scaffold poles lying around that need liberating...

andyL

Comment

Hehe - someones got to think about the mortgage.......

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X