• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 ssr-x v's 1996 (gen 3) ssr-g?

Hi This is my first post on this forum

Long story, short version

Love Jap Imports

My first was a Lucida 2.4 (engine blew head replaced by dealer FOC)
    Second Surf ssr-x 1995. Best car or 4x4 I have ever owned. I had previously had 4 landies a disco and a range rover. granada 4x4 and a sierra 4x4 and the surf well.... no contest really.
    Third (current) 1996 Prado TX Three door. Should have bought a 5 door which is why I have just ordered a 1996 ssr-g.

It has a bonnet air scoop and intercooler and it looks to be almost identical under the bonnet to the Prado. I have been told that the running gear is similar to the prado being permanent 4x4. Does this mean Gen 3 versions have 'lost' the auto lock up on the front axle. Is the front axle very different. Did not have a chance to look at the under neath as it was away for prep and SVA. Do they have lsd rear diff as standard?

If anyone could list the main differences it would be a great help?

Jimbo
    Women Drive Prado's. Men Drive Surf's. Everything else just gets in the way.

Welcome to the forum Jimbo

3rd gen is not permenant 4wd like the prado, however as it has the automatic disconnecting differential on the front, coupled with a lockable centre diff it can be used permenantly in 2 or 4wd as desired. Rear LSD AFAIK is not standard, try a search here on the forum and you'll find the differences between 2nd and 3rd Gen versions have been fairly well covered before.
    Last edited by Morr; 14 February 2005, 10:06.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Technically, the 3rd gen can be permenant, or part time, what ever you want.

Like Morr said, it has a lockable center diff, this makes it a permenant 4wd or all wheel drive if you prefer, but unlike the other cars you list, you can also disconnect the front drive completely for day to day use, putting it 2wd, making it a part time 4wd like a 2nd gen Surf.

So you have the best of all worlds.

can't go wrong!
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks guys,

Made things a bit clearer. Will do a search (should have done it first)

Jimbo
        Women Drive Prado's. Men Drive Surf's. Everything else just gets in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo55
          Thanks guys,

Made things a bit clearer. Will do a search (should have done it first)

Jimbo
          In case ya don't find em, here's a start, http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...hlight=2nd+3rd

and
          http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...hlight=2nd+3rd
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
          X