Outer CV Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer CV Boot

How easy is it to fit a new outer CV boot ?

I was greasing the drive this morning and noticed a dirty great cut in the rubber of the outer boot (put my mind at rest, the outer boot is the one nearest the wheel).

There is still a good lot of grease still in the boot for just now. How essential is it, that I get a new boot on ?

Scratch that request, as ever i forgot to search

Anyone know how quickly I`ll have to get this done ? The split is big enough to get four fingers in, so its quite sizeable

Comment

I left mine for a month before i got around to changing it.
      Dont go off road or through deep water as it will invite gravel into it.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

I wouldnt hang around, get the job done quickly. New outer joints means new axle on that side of the car. You dont want any grit getting in there and a 4 finger size hole might be worse again tomorrow.

Comment

cheers guys, I`ll see about getting it done next week when I`m on holiday. I`ll not be off-road or in deep water before then.

I`m a little worried about how long its been like that though, as I have been offroad and in deep water fairly recently. As there is still some grease left inside the boot, I`m hoping thats an indication thats its not long torn.

Cheers again guys.

Comment

I have the same problem and was thinking of this, let me know what you think.
            Dont know if it will fit or not.

http://www.hexcentric.com/cpdcatalog...haftgaiter.cfm

cheers scotty

Comment

I just ordered an inner and outer boot from Roughtrax (£35 delivered) and I`ll get the machanic at my work to fit it, hopefully.

Comment

My mate uses them on various cars. Not sure about a 4x4 - I can ask him....
                NO WORRIES!
                Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                  I have the same problem and was thinking of this, let me know what you think.
                  Dont know if it will fit or not.

http://www.hexcentric.com/cpdcatalog...haftgaiter.cfm

cheers scotty
                  I tried one theyre not as good as the proper ones as it kept sliding off.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal
                    How easy is it to fit a new outer CV boot ?

I was greasing the drive this morning and noticed a dirty great cut in the rubber of the outer boot (put my mind at rest, the outer boot is the one nearest the wheel).

There is still a good lot of grease still in the boot for just now. How essential is it, that I get a new boot on ?
                    It's a messy job but fairly straight forward if you have the 4Runner Haynes manual or similar. Might be advisable to change both boots while you have the drive shaft out as the inner one might fail soon too.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                      It's a messy job but fairly straight forward if you have the 4Runner Haynes manual or similar. Might be advisable to change both boots while you have the drive shaft out as the inner one might fail soon too.

Nevillef
                      Spoke to the guy thats going to be helping me, and he has told me to try and find a Haynes type manual.

Is the 2.4td almost the same as the 4Runner, if not, what manual do you buy ?

I`m also doing inner and outer, might as well when I`ve got the shaft off

Comment

Instructions can be found here.
                        http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cvjoints.htm

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                          Cheers, I`ll print that off and take it along with me. I`ve also ordered the Max Ellery "Toyota Hilux/4 Runner 1979-1997 Diesel Engine (EP.TH4D)" manual. I figure i may as well get it for future reference as I intend to do as much work on the truck by myself as possible.

Cheers again for all the help on this subject, Its very much appreciated.

Comment

Changed the boots tonight, started at 5pm finished by the back of 8, we had the use of a ramp, so it made it very easy getting some of the trickier nuts off and it also gave me a good chance to inspect the bottom of the truck.

All the tips in here were bang on, so again, cheers for all the help.

Comment

aussie link broken?

Originally posted by andy
                              Hi!

Can't get this link to work - can anyone help?

Naomi
                              Naomi
                              AKA - Mamadwyvin
                              www.greenhands.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X