leaning surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaning surf

Iv just fitted a new set of springs and shocks to the rear end of the surf to try and get rid of the sag! I’m very happy with the lift and the difference in ride but she still seems to be leaning to the driver side, IV measured and there seems to be a difference of 1” between the two sides. I’m thinking the problem lies in the front torsion bar or shocks. Has anyone experienced this type of problem before?

That pesky car salesman again!

Originally posted by highlander
    Iv just fitted a new set of springs and shocks to the rear end of the surf to try and get rid of the sag! I’m very happy with the lift and the difference in ride but she still seems to be leaning to the driver side, IV measured and there seems to be a difference of 1” between the two sides. I’m thinking the problem lies in the front torsion bar or shocks. Has anyone experienced this type of problem before?
    All tend to do this!.....the 'petrol' tank is over on the drivers side [notice difference with tank empty to full] and if you have the wheel on the swing-out arm then theres also this weight to contend with, I have about 1/2" difference
    Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
      All tend to do this!.....the 'petrol' tank is over on the drivers side [notice difference with tank empty to full] and if you have the wheel on the swing-out arm then theres also this weight to contend with, I have about 1/2" difference
      And I thought it was because I am a fat b*stard. I feel much happier now!
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

so why does mine lean the other way
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

It looks awful when parked outside my building I was thinking that the front drivers shock might be burst or there might be a problem with the torsion on the driver side. That and helped by the wait of the diesel tank. It just seems a lot of lean for the wait of the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
            And I thought it was because I am a fat b*stard. I feel much happier now!
            Choose which option you prefer!!!! LOL
            Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
              so why does mine lean the other way
              Full of hot air? (You walked straight into that one)
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

DOH!
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by highlander
                  Did the Surf 'lean' before you replaced the springs? I have heard that the springs are 'handed' the right hand side one being maginally stronger to account for the extra weight of the tank and 60L of diesel in it.

Can anyone confirm this- it's so long ago I did mine I can't remember if they were handed or not!

Incidentaly the rear end of mine is down about 1/2" on the left side.

Nevillef

Comment

Mine is low on the right, I thought it was probably the set due to the drivers weight always being there whereas the other loads are variable.
                    Yes! It's still in the garage. M1ROD

Comment

Before there was a lean with a lot of rear end sag. Now the new springs are on the sag is fine it’s just this 1” difference. To me it looks like something is sagging in the driver’s front and dragging the rear down with it.

Comment

Lean!

My Surf (1995 3ltr diesel KZN130) exactly the same.Doesn't bother me.Carried 2x4 slabs in the back - still sags and leans.Waiting for the final crack and bang!

Comment

I put the jack under the front wheel arch between the wheel and arch and jacked the car up till it was level on the front and the rear end levelled out! I am now convinced that it is a front torsion problem. I also noticed on the front right lower wishbone’s cam’s are set to different positions as the other side? Would this affect anything?

Comment

Of note here, and it has been discussed before...

Handbrake cable runs through a guide tube, which also happens to be in the way of the arc of travel of the adjuster for the drivers side torsion bar. When you set the torsion bars up, set the drivers side up to your personal preference and then balance the passenger side to suit.

You can wind it up such that you place a nice 'crease' in this tube, so that it doesn't rub on the hand brake cable, and get maximium wind on the Torsions... then match the passenger side.

Been there, done that.

Andy and the Lala's

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                              Can anyone confirm this- it's so long ago I did mine I can't remember if they were handed or not!
                              My springs were handed - from memory the drivers side was around 1/2" longer
                              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Working...
                              X