Need advice on possible noise!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on possible noise!!

Dont you know it...one day left of the holidays and I start to hear a noise from what seems to be the left side of the vehicle.

I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on what it may be...

Scenario:
    When under acceleration from a standing position or very slow crawl there seems to be a grating noise that goes away after the initial set off. Once motoring there is no noise whatsoever.

This just started at about 3pm today..

1st thought: Bearing, but thought would hear the sound throughout the ride?
    2nd thought: Gearbox, transfer box but sounds like from nearside
    3rd thought: Steering linkage after recent damage...but had new idler arm and tracking done on Thursday.....ruled this out?
    4th thought: Posibly suspension, shockers or the cover over the shocker catching????? need to check in daylight
    Last edited by Gizmo; 7 February 2005, 22:23.
    Gaz

Could it be the handbrake sticking slightly?
    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

You need to try things, like rest other foot on the brake as you pull away so see if its grit in the pads or a front wheel bearing.

pull on the hand brake to feel if its a rear brake or bearing.

try it in 4wd, to put different loads on the drive train.

Grease the UJ's?

etc, etc

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

cheers guys, guess I'll have to keep on attempting to find it by going down the road of elimination further
        Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
          cheers guys, guess I'll have to keep on attempting to find it by going down the road of elimination further
          Ruled out the front of the vehicle!....sound definately coming from what seems to be the left hand rear side of the vehicle....will have to put back on axle stands this weekend to inspect further
          Gaz

Comment

I think i have the same prob, i only get the noise when is at about 1000/1500 rpm then it stops, did you work out whats wrong ?

Comment

Re, possible noise

I seem to have the same noise, it only happens from set off when warm and then not as much when it is on the straight.

My 1st thought was a tyre scrubbing, but I've changed them! Might be the LSD (I hope not)
              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

i found out from danno at the weekend that my fan isnt running true, i thought i had two noises but there deffinatly conected.

Comment

Have you check the rear wheel bearings?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Have you check the rear wheel bearings?
                    Trouble is, wouldn't know what to look out for, plus man of little technical knowledge on vehicles and man of little tools [stop the snigger you know what I mean]. Just basic set of Ring Spanners, Hammer, Pliers and thats it!
                    Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                      Trouble is, wouldn't know what to look out for, plus man of little technical knowledge on vehicles and man of little tools [stop the snigger you know what I mean]. Just basic set of Ring Spanners, Hammer, Pliers and thats it!
                      Its easy, jack the truck up, and see if there is any in and out play by pulling on the wheel, any wear in the bearing will show up.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                        Its easy, jack the truck up, and see if there is any in and out play by pulling on the wheel, any wear in the bearing will show up.
                        Cheers Tony....
                        Gaz

Comment

Working...
                        X