No announcement yet.

Premature bearing failure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad I got my bearing from Roughtrax in the first place - SKF bearing so should be all OK.

Cheers

Comment

Heres the inner race, the track is mushroomed out and mankey, next to it is a 80,000 mile original bearing (the one I took out and replaced with this one!!)

Notice the original has much higher sides than the new one, giving more contact area for the balls, and the seal has a groove to sit in snuggly, not just on the edge of the inner race.

also, the new bearings balls are smaller than the Toyota one....

Verdict.... really cheap bearing! which I know, that why we bought it, but it should last longer than 3 weeks of normal driving, thats not cheap, thats just crap.

Bearing (pun intended! ) in mind Toyota bearings are £80ish, we'll try Roughtrax's ones, but it is only a plain ball bearing, so a call to BSL will see they are a commercially made size, or a automotive oddball size.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The ones provided by Roughtrax were SKF bearings, never had any problems with those.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
          The ones provided by Roughtrax were SKF bearings, never had any problems with those.

Cheers
          I fitted a Roughtrax on the other side in October- no problem with it (so far).

The other strange thing I noticed about the Milners bearing was the curious screw thread on the inside of the outer race leading into the ball bearing groove. Never seen that on a bearing before. Looks like some cheap way to get the balls in place?

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
            Well I hope I fitted the bearing correctly- it's the second one I fitted to the Surf. I used a big 8" vice to press it into the housing using the OUTER RACE of the old bearing to exert even pressure. Still I guess you can never be sure if something went wrong as it was fitted? Felt pretty smooth though. The wear is on both the internal races of the center hub and outer casing. The metal particles coming off were like tiny metalic flakes (like gold foil) almost as if the metal was soft- the balls look fine.

I'm assuming the bearing I had was correct for the Surf as it came from a supplier well known to us here. The new bearing I have is from

http://www.brt-bearings.com/1024x768/index.html

Part number is: Wheel Bearing Kit BRT523

Price is £30 but the kit INCLUDES bearing, inner dif seal, outer seal and the all important bearing retainer collar.

Bearing had Made In England on it. I'll watch it closely to see how long it lasts- if this one goes too quick then I'll know I have other problems.....

Nevillef
            If anybody requires this kit for the KZN185 they will also need to order another slip collar(Part Number CC19), this holds the ABS gear in place.

Also if you just need the bearing on it's own the number is 6308-2RS, BRT have told me that they will be updating their records to include the KZN185 with two slip collars.
            Last edited by andy; 10 February 2005, 14:12.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
              I think we have a good case for getting our money back.

Nevillef
              I sent my duff bearing back to Milners and to their credit- they sent me three replacemnet oil filters (I didn't want another bearing...) back as warranty replacement.

Nevillef

Comment

Working...
              X