Brake pedal judder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pedal judder?

Is this more likely to be a warped disk or stuck front caliper piston? Any ideas if the rear drums can induce pedal judder (that's all I've messed with lately but problem is getting worse)?

Nevillef

This depends on the severity of the judder. Are the pads badly worn - ie, metal-on-metal? Are the discs visibly badly worn? How's the fluid level? If you take the pads out and pump the pedal, are ell 4 pistons in each caliper moving freely?

I'm no mechanic, but I think a stuck piston usually sticks IN the caliper, rather than OUT OF it - I can't think of how that might induce judder...

Nor can I think of how judder could be caused by rear drums.

There are far more technically adept folk than me on here - someone'll be along soon!

Changing discs if they're shagged is relatively cheap and easy - I did it last weekend.

Mark
    :

Comment

Pedal judder is normally always warped discs, but they could have been caused by a stuck caliper, as the rubbing pad will heat up the disk and warp it.

Your drums could be oval, if got hot, or bashed on the ground when cleaning.

Pull your hand brake gently while driving to test the rear for warpage, then you can tell if its the front or rear.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Turned out to be a stuck front caliper piston. I replaced all the front pads but freeing the stuck piston was a pain. Caliper in the 8" vice, big pipe grips and plenty of WD40 (yes I'm eating my words now!).

Nevillef

Comment

where is the !!!!!! fuse box for all the car I found the ones under the bonnet but i cant find the main fuse box

Comment

theres some to your right foot in the kick panel and some behind the glovebox for the aircon.... ohhhh yeah - this is off topic now.
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

never owned a jap import before so take it easy

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                ohhhh yeah - this is off topic now.
                and quite a way off!
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                X