uprated suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uprated suspension

Can anyone give me any advice, Ihave decided to change the springs and shocks onmy 96 ssrg because the the difference between hard and normal is negligible and the springs are sagging on one side.
    Linda kindly left me some links to sites to buy stuff, but i am a little aprehensive, i want to know what the advantages are in say a 2' lift and proform shocks over standard or am i better off with standard replacements? I do mainly road driving with a lot of jetski and boat towing in the summer. Can anybody shed any light or give me the benefit of their experiences? cheers Paul.

Uprating your suspension with the reccomened 2"+ springs, longer shocks and (if possible) stronger torsion bars will have the effect of stiffening the suspension over standard- but then your existing suspension is probably 'tired' and sloppy by now anyway. So uprating will feel different and handling will be firmer. You'll notice it even more off-road or towing when the extra-firmness of an uprated suspension comes into it's own.

Uprating the suspension is exactly that- you're putting in stronger components for harsher conditions. You might feel every bump in the road- but that's all part of the fun! If you wanted cushioned comfort you'd buy a Lexus not an offroader? Overall I felt the handling on the road much better with much less 'Discovery roll' than before and tighter steering. Towing is much better now too.

Nevillef

Comment

A 2" lift sounds like a lot but it doesn't seem to affect the handling and the uprated springs and shockers actually improve the ride (imho).
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Hi Paul. I'm no expert and I can only pass on my experience.

I used the Milner 20% stronger springs, which not only lifted my trucks rear end by about 2" but improved the ride and handling too. My shocks must have been reasonable. I used to notice a lot of difference between the soft and hard suspension settings and still do but I find I hardly use the hard option, unless it is extremely windy, when it seems to help reduce body roll in strong gusts.
        Replacing the rear springs also made towing much more comfortable and I found that I could load the caravan to within the recommended nose weight. In a nutshell, I am quite happy with the standard shocks and stronger springs.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

suspension

I am looking for a firm but comfotable ride, sound s good doesn't it!!
          Its just really harsh at the moment, my old 2.4 was far better!! mad

Comment

Working...
          X