really hard work pumping it in though.
    nurse, hes out of bed again....
    Ohhhhhh Doctor!

Bwahahahaha
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
      THe grease nipples on the Surf seem to be quite small in comparison to UK vehicles. I think they use 17 or 18m in stead of the 20mm in UK. My normal grease gun will just about get some grease into the joints but I get more in with a new cheap pump gun that I got on holiday as it seems to grip the small nipples much better. Just really hard work pumping it in though.
      Seriously though - the nipples are for a "18mm or smaller" nozzle according to the bit of card in the sunvisor

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

she asked for a double ententre so i gave her one...ahem
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Well I suppose that makes me feel slightly less of a failure, knowing that my nipples may be the wrong size!
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
            To try to reduce the running costs this year I thought I'd try to do the service myself, I know nothing and whated some advice from those that know more (i.e. everyone else).
            I'm going to order the service kit (oil, air, fuel) do I need any tools to remove/replace these items.
            I know the front discs are fine, the pads are getting low but are OK for now (my father checked when he was replacing my suspension), so the front should be fine. I took apart some drum brakes on my first motorcycle many years back so I should be alright there.
            I checked all the bushes I could see when we did the suspension.
            What else should I check?
            Any advice (apart from take it to a mechanic).

Many thanks

Duane
            I'm going off at a tangent here, but was your 'suspension replaced' to improve the ride? (see my back ache moan on another post!) If so, did it work / how much did it cost?! - Julia

Comment

One of my rear shocks decided to blow its seal and spew oil all over the rear wheel when I was hurring to meet up for the last Salisbury play day. I spent the entire day wondering why the backend kept trying to join the front. On taking off the shocks I found both rears to have no damping at all, and the fronts were not much better. I now have pro comp nitrogen shocks all round. The ride is a bit harsh (firm) but I can now throw her through corners like a sports car (almost) with little body roll, and the dogs appriciate it musch more as they don't get thrown around so much.

The kit cost £428 to buy, I convinced my father to fit it so no labour cost but LA Supatrux who supply the kit quote £350+vat to fit, and it lifts the car 2" as well.
              Last edited by Maverick; 21 January 2005, 18:13.
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

[QUOTE=Maverick]

£350+vat to fit, QUOTE]
                Or your could bring it to Tony to fit - which would be a lot cheaper than that!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Geez Linda what are you trying to do to Tony!!!! Last time when we chatted on thursday the poor man was doing 14 hour days at work !!!!!!
                  I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike66
                    Geez Linda what are you trying to do to Tony!!!! Last time when we chatted on thursday the poor man was doing 14 hour days at work !!!!!!
                    We need the money and it wasnt just him that was up at 4:30 and didnt get home til after 9pm!!!
                    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I must say many thanks to Linda and Tony.
                      A couple of hours and direction, ie undo that bolt, and the job is now done.
                      But just to make me feel completely inferior Tony greased my nipples using my own grease gun, the one that I failed to do the job with.

Many thanks
                      Duane
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Oil priming the filter.

I have the 1KT-TE 3.0L Diesel engine. I have just purchased this one a month back and I know how to do oil changes and stuff but I would like to know from you guys that have been doing servicing for a while, when you change the oil filter on this kind of engine and replace it you have to apparently fill the oil filter to prime it. The thing is you have to turn it so the hole is facing down and essentially oil is going to go all over the place as you try to screw it in. Do you guys prime the filter or do you put it in dry and let the engine prime it when you start? I don't want to do a dry prime if it is going to do damage to the engine.

Thanks all.
                        Chris.
                        WTF Newbie surfer? Been surfing since 1996!

Comment

I have the 1KZ-TE 3.0L Diesel engine. I have just purchased this one a month back and I know how to do oil changes and stuff but I would like to know from you guys that have been doing servicing for a while, when you change the oil filter on this kind of engine and replace it you have to apparently fill the oil filter to prime it. The thing is you have to turn it so the hole is facing down and essentially oil is going to go all over the place as you try to screw it in. Do you guys prime the filter or do you put it in dry and let the engine prime it when you start? I don't want to do a dry prime if it is going to do damage to the engine.

Thanks all.
                          Chris.
                          Last edited by chris-au-surf; 20 February 2005, 02:13.

Comment

Tony didn't tell me to prime mine, so it went in dry.
                            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
                              Tony didn't tell me to prime mine, so it went in dry.
                              That is good to know. It just seems to me it would make a hellava mess of everything.

Cheers,
                              Chris.

Comment

That is good to know. It just seems to me it would make a hellava mess of everything.

Cheers,
                                Chris.

Comment

Working...
                                X