Service advice for non-mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service advice for non-mechanic

To try to reduce the running costs this year I thought I'd try to do the service myself, I know nothing and whated some advice from those that know more (i.e. everyone else).
    I'm going to order the service kit (oil, air, fuel) do I need any tools to remove/replace these items.
    I know the front discs are fine, the pads are getting low but are OK for now (my father checked when he was replacing my suspension), so the front should be fine. I took apart some drum brakes on my first motorcycle many years back so I should be alright there.
    I checked all the bushes I could see when we did the suspension.
    What else should I check?
    Any advice (apart from take it to a mechanic).

Many thanks

Duane
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

I was a complete non-mechanic when I got my Surf 18 months ago. My brother had always done my servicing. I got frustrated with his rules:

1) Don't charge family full price, just parts.

2) Paying customers have priority over non-paying family.

So my car would get further down the que or be on and off the ramps so that a general service took all day. The solution was to do it myself and with the help of the forum I now think nothing of it.................until I am stuck again!

Make sure that you undo the engine oil sump bung and not the transmission sump (I'm not kidding - I almost managed it) On the 2.4 the oil filter is accessed through the removable plate inside the o/s wheel arch (I spent ages trying to get it past the steering/suspension bits first time).
    Undo the diesel filter water sensor/drain wiring at the connector on the n/s inner wing then unscrew the whole thing. The diesel filter can be very tight if it was fitted by a gorilla last time. I find a pair of those grippy gloves as worn by warehousemen invaluable. If it wont shift you can tap the old filter round with a hammer and old screwdriver.
    The air filter is easy.
    And don't forget the nipples. There is a greasing chart in the FAQ section somewhere or on the card on your sunvisor.

I only have basic tools:

Metric socket set
    Metric ring/open combination spanners.
    Posi and flat screwdrivers.

My first service took 4.5 hours (and a lot of swearing). I have got it down to 1hr 10 Mins now. I still manage to get oil all over the garage floor though.

Good luck!
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

I'm about to start doing basic stuff myself too with the help of you guys
      Any thing more complex of full chekup will be in my mates garage so I'll start with an oil change this week I hope.

I am waiting for delivery of a Drain Plug from Difflock.com to avoid messy oil changes so after this time should be easy right? Hardest bit will be the filter.

BEFORE that though the wheel bearing must be done! Ordering from Milners tomorrow - aha - good plan me, will order new oil filters too!
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Right both wheel bearings have been done yesterday but I didnt get any new seals for my mechanic so he had fun.
        Do i or do i not need an oil filter wrench to do the filter and do any of you torque up your sump bolts or just do them up? I'll be fitting a drain plug on Monday when I do the change too.
        Tim

Comment

My filter kit has just arrived . I think I'll do it piece by piece, starting with the bit I know (air filter) tomorrow.
          Start the rest Tuesday, so everyone get ready for shouts for help from Tuesday onwards.
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
            Right both wheel bearings have been done yesterday but I didnt get any new seals for my mechanic so he had fun.
            Do i or do i not need an oil filter wrench to do the filter and do any of you torque up your sump bolts or just do them up? I'll be fitting a drain plug on Monday when I do the change too.
            bump
            Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
              You may need a filter wrench/strap if filter is on very tight.I do not use one at all.I unscrew and tighten by hand and never have a problem.Mechanics seem to think super tight is the way to go.Just spin the filter on and when seal makes contact then tighten around two thirds of a turn.As for the drain plug just do it up firmly.

Neville

Comment

top man - thanks nev
                Tim

Comment

How'd it go Maverick? I did mine today, changed the oil and filter, fitted my new drain plug and cleared some mud out of the aircon rad from the plains! There was loads!
                  Another thing the car never seemed to stop draining oil! EVER! I hope the threadlocker I put on does the trick - it says good oil resistance but not sure if I used enough Oh well, at least the next change will be only messy changing the filter.
                  :note to self - use a funel for oil next time!!:
                  Tim

Comment

Still putting it off (I'm a coward). Still got just under 1000km until it's due!
                    Did the air filter (I know how to do that), just going out to get oil & auto box oil as it's just touching low at the moment, oh need new grease gun nozzle. Maybe I'll find some more excusses, I've even just finished tyding up the shed. I'll look at the rear brakes tomorrow, and maybe do the fuel filter, and nipples. I'll definately do the oil on the next set of rest days..........
                    Well the rockery still needs to be built, so maybe after that!!
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
                      Still putting it off (I'm a coward). Still got just under 1000km until it's due!
                      Did the air filter (I know how to do that), just going out to get oil & auto box oil as it's just touching low at the moment, oh need new grease gun nozzle. Maybe I'll find some more excusses, I've even just finished tyding up the shed. I'll look at the rear brakes tomorrow, and maybe do the fuel filter, and nipples. I'll definately do the oil on the next set of rest days..........
                      Well the rockery still needs to be built, so maybe after that!!
                      Why not come up to us one weekend? For a few beer tokens you can have help and advice doing it and know exactly how for next time? Not to mention free coffee and tea whilst your here.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Yes please.
                        I have just suceeded in failing. The fuel filter won't unscrew, my grease gun keeps falling off my nipples. I'm not even gonna look at the oil..............
                        Oh the back brakes look fine.

When would be good for you. I'm working this weekend, off Saturday 29th, then both Saturday, and Sunday for the next three weeks.
                        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

THe grease nipples on the Surf seem to be quite small in comparison to UK vehicles. I think they use 17 or 18m in stead of the 20mm in UK. My normal grease gun will just about get some grease into the joints but I get more in with a new cheap pump gun that I got on holiday as it seems to grip the small nipples much better. Just really hard work pumping it in though.
                          Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                            grip the small nipples much better. .
                            The mind boggles...
                            Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

really hard work pumping it in though.
                              nurse, hes out of bed again....
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment