Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different length springs???

Hi All,

I've tried searching but not found any refernce to my queery...

OK, I'm fitting new springs and shocks to the rear of my surf...

Explorer ProComp +2" HD springs and ES9000 shocks.

The bits arrived today and upon inspection I was suprised to find the two springs are not the same length.

They are both marked with the same part no. 57492 O/S & 57492 N/S... howver the O/S one is probably about 10mm longer.

Is this correct?

Cheers,
    Alan
    Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Originally posted by whippet
    Hi All,

I've tried searching but not found any refernce to my queery...

OK, I'm fitting new springs and shocks to the rear of my surf...

Explorer ProComp +2" HD springs and ES9000 shocks.

The bits arrived today and upon inspection I was suprised to find the two springs are not the same length.

They are both marked with the same part no. 57492 O/S & 57492 N/S... howver the O/S one is probably about 10mm longer.

Is this correct?

Cheers,
    Alan
    It is correct, if I remember correctly its to compensate having the fuel tank on that side
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Thanks Koi.

Perhaps I should have got one 20mm longer... to compensate for the driver as well!!
      Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

o/s = drivers side
        n/s = not the drivers side!

Comment

What's with this o/s and n/s stuff anyway.What's wrong with left and right?

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
            What's with this o/s and n/s stuff anyway.What's wrong with left and right?

Neville
            Is that RIGHT hand side looking from the front... or looking from the rear?

It's the same reason you have Port and Starboard on a boat... just avoids confusion.

N/S - Nearside (to the kerb).
            O/S - Offside (away from kerb).

... of course that's when the car is on the Left side of the road and pointing in the Right direction.

I'm easy enough confused as it is!

Comment

remember for suspension stuff built in the US, O/F and N/S are the otherway round to us.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

if its nearside for the left then why isnt it farside for the right

also

if its offside for the right then why isnt it onside for the left

some Ford Anglia engineer is probably still pi$$ing himself at what he started

drivers side and passenger side does it for me

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                  if its nearside for the left then why isnt it farside for the right

also

if its offside for the right then why isnt it onside for the left

some Ford Anglia engineer is probably still pi$$ing himself at what he started

Remind me - which one is the Dark Side?

Comment

Leftside and Rightside is by far the most obvious and logical. We have Left hand drive cars and Right hand drive cars which is universal the world over (even yanks call them LHD).
                    and by the way that is sitting in the car.

So there you go!!

Karl

Comment

Call it what you like... but the springs are marked N/S and O/S, so it might help to understand what it means??

Comment

Call it what you like... but the springs are marked N/S and O/S, so it might help to understand what it means??
                        Does anybody understand the O/S rule?
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL

Unless you have a LHD car... then its the other way round

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

hehe, no need for the banging head, its Offside (middle of the road) or nearside (against the pavement) as has been mentioned.

All you've got to work out, is what side of the road the country that made the springs drives on.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

arrrrrrr but if you ask a football fanatic.....about offside, will cause a debate for the next ten years!!!
                              Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Working...
                              X