No 4WD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 4WD

I have a problem (well I have several but only one you lot are likely to be able help with) No 4WD, I've tried Hi and Lo and it's still possible to turn the front prop. I've traced all the vacuum lines I can find and they seem fine. As when I press the button nothing at all happens; no click of a relay, no light no buzz so I suspect (hope) an electrical fault but can't find a fuse labelled 4WD either under the bonnet or in the foot well, does it share a circuit with something else or is it hidden away? I gather the motor / solenoid (which is it??) on the back of the transfer case can stick, might this blow a fuse? How do you free it off?

Here's hoping

Matt

Its a vacuum solonid, and it can stick. If you unbolt it, you can engage the t/case manually by working the mechanisum by hand. Then try driving forward a little to see if the rest of the 4wd stuff is working. The 4wd ECU is under the center consul, in front of the gear lever. Normally you can hear it click. Check the switch in the lever is OK, but it work by shifting in to L withou the switch, so I doubt its that.

The switch that works the 4wd light won't come on till the ADD acuator on the front axle, and the t/case have both switched over OK, which often takes a few revolutions of the wheels to get everything lined up.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

sometimes my light flickers, and as I found out on the plains i need to reverse to disengage the 4wd properly which sounds ok according to the manual but is it bad?
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Also check vacuum hose across the top of the engine, runs parallel with the air intake to the turbo and is tucked in just behind it.
        Its metal tube either end and rubber in the middle, when my 4wd wouldn't engage it was this, strangely enough I had no clicking etc until I reconnected it.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Tony,All,
          Would I be right in thinking the 4WD ECU would be a black box connecting to a white 14 pin block immediately in front of the gear levers and below the heater? ‘Cos if so mines bust; literally. Do you know if there all the same or do I need one specific to a ’95 3L manual?

Comment

the 4wd light should flash and then come on permanently when it has engaged... might take a bit of a shunt, but on slippery surface not too much, just until it all lines up and clicks in.... or summat like that!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
              Also check vacuum hose across the top of the engine, runs parallel with the air intake to the turbo and is tucked in just behind it.
              Its metal tube either end and rubber in the middle, when my 4wd wouldn't engage it was this, strangely enough I had no clicking etc until I reconnected it.
              anyone kind enough to show me a pic of what it looks like?
              Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                anyone kind enough to show me a pic of what it looks like?
                Tim

Comment

See attached pic, its actually a small metal pipe runs across the top of the cover and rubber either end (got it back to front on the other post)
                  Attached Files
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Fitted a second hand control box I got from Chris today and all seems well, various clicks and clunks and the 4WD light comes on, both on the button and when shifting to low. Will double check tonight when I find some mud or ice to play with.

Comment

Working...
                    X